Three months into the world wide technology outage, the Branning family and their neighbors are beginning to get the hang of surviving. They are bartering for what they need and digging a neighborhood well.

But then they are robbed. Jeff chases after the thieves and discovers they are four children, siblings, who have been living alone for months. Against their better judgment, the Brannings feel compelled to care for these kids. Where is their mother? And will the Brannings be able to feed these extra mouths?

If I were viewing this series as a mystery series, I'd be highly disappointed. While there are some mysteries surrounding the kids, they develop in fits and starts. And the climax of that story is pretty weak. Instead, this is a novel about survival and what humans will do when faced with the end of our civilization. As a result, it is fascinating and page turning. I had a hard time putting the book down. The characters are real, and I found myself asking if I would have the faith and compassion to respond as they did multiple times over the course of the novel.

This book relies heavily on the events of the first in the series. There is a recap and character guide in the first few pages, so you could jump in here if you needed to. But I'd advise you to read them in order. And there are some great develops as far as the overall story goes in this book that made me look forward to the third.

This is another challenging and captivating novel from a great writer. If you want a great read, consider this series.