Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£6.99|
Save £3.70 (53%)
Next to Me (A Love Happens Novel Book 1) Kindle Edition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
After reading the description of this book I knew it was defiantly up my street, an ex Army Ranger who now part owns his own security business YES PLEASE!
Sam Gleeson does not disappoint! I loved this book and am really looking forward to more books further on in the Love Happens series, Grady, Ash and Beck.
Sam and Ali had instant attraction which resulted in instant reaction pretty early on in the book, if I say one thing a little negative about the book it would have been that I would have liked a bit more interaction between the couple before the hot stuff kicked in.
Jodi it was an enjoyable read one that I found myself looking forward to reading whenever I got the chance. Its a book/series that I will be 100% recommending to friends, I love how Sam calls Ali, Ali-cat and not forgetting the wonderful Pete.... that was a really nice addition to the couple. The epilogue was sort and sweet and a really nice way to end their story!
Excited for Becks story....... :D
I really enjoyed this one, a nice easy read with a sweet yet sexy alpha male. Ali wasn't exactly my cup of tea but the story overall was worth putting up with her for. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Ali is running for her life...literally. After enduring years of abuse, one night her husband does something that shows Ali he will kill her eventually if she stays. So, she runs and keeps running while trying to come up with a plan to keep herself safe when the day comes that he finds her.
She thinks she has hit the jackpot when she buys the house next door to super hot, ex Army Sniper now Security Specialist Sam. Now all she has to do is seduce him and hook him to her so when her ex comes around, even when he learns the truth he will still want to protect her.
There just one thing Ali didn't plan for and that is falling for Sam for real. As one lie leads to another Ali doesn't know how to come clean with him and make him understand how she feels. When the truth comes out, can Sam ever forgive her?
I was intrigued by this story right from the start. It is fast paced and once I started it I didn't want to put it down. I liked Ali and Sam, they are well written characters and their relationship is a crazy hot one. It develops fast and the reader is pulled along for the ride. They both have baggage and are dealing with issues which caused conflict throughout their relationship. The only real issue I had with this one is the conflict at the end. When the truth comes out, Sam says some really horrible things and even though Ali has been deceiving him, it seemed too harsh and I felt she was a little too quick to forgive him.
Quick hook or slow starter? 5 (I was hooked from the first chapter)
Character development: 4
Level of Romance between characters: 4
Passion/Heat level: 4.5 (There is no delay in these two getting it on and it is hot!)
Angst/Heartbreak: 4 (the last 1/4 of the story is pretty angsty)
Cliffhanger?: Nope, this is the first in a series but no cliffhanger here.
Overall, I liked it and look forward to reading the next story in this series.
I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
“Next to Me” by Jodi Watters is all of this and more. “Next to Me” is her first novel, and she did a bang-up job. Ali Ross is on the run from her violent ex-husband, living every day in terror. He is coming for her, and she knows it is just a matter of time before he finds her. No security alarm, no gated community will stop him. Sam Gleeson is the quintessential former special-forces guy who now runs his own security company – a very well-run, very effective security company. The best of the best. And then there is Pete, Sam’s adorable but troublesome Labrador puppy. A sexy guy with a puppy – yes some can scream cliché, but Jodi Watters pulls it off flawlessly.
When the house hunting Ali learns that she has the potential of having a specialist in security as her next door neighbor, she buys the house and begins planning her seduction. Free personal security, anyone? Sign me up, please! She has the best of intentions, she only wants her ex scared off by her big brawny neighbor/lover. But as happens all too often in real life, things get complex quickly (especially when hot sweaty sex is involved). Will Sam hate her when he finds out she is manipulating him? Will her abusive ex-husband find her, and if he does will Sam come to her rescue in a blaze of white-knight glory? You THINK you know the answers, but the author has a few surprises in store for you.
If you love alpha males and gentle-souled but non-doormat heroines, you will adore “Next to Me”. The characters are funny and charming and real. There are just enough surprises to keep your interest in the ongoing plot behind the romance alive. The sex is hot and the romance is delightful. It is an easy but enthralling read. I noticed no grammatical errors, a pleasant surprise in a self-published novel. I cannot urge you strongly enough – buy this book! It is so worth it!
If I went to the coast in California and found beach houses with a gate that wasn't guarded I'd look for Sam and Ali's houses. I read and have A LOT of books (read about 50 a month from a library of 23,000 plus) which is maybe why it takes something very good for me to write a review. I will be watching for this author and I do believe she has a long road ahead of her because she has so many characters with stories to write about. I'm afraid I am an impatient sort of person so I really hope she has their stories in her head because I'm ready to read them! Thank you Ms. Watters......you got my attention and if others are smart you will get theirs too.
A huge thank you to Jodi Watters for advancing me a free copy of her latest novel in exchange for an honest review.
Written from both the H/h POV, “Next to Me” is a story of a woman who, right from the start, wants to have sex with her gorgeous neighbour, Sam, so he can protect her just in case her abusive ex-husband shows up. What she didn’t count on was falling in love. Problem is everything she’s told Sam are all lies. She wants to come clean but she’s drowning in all the lies she’s told. Sam can’t stand liars and she’s afraid she’s messed up something amazing.
As much as I liked the story and found it to be written well, there were a few issues that I thought were a little confusing, and/or just didn’t work for me.
- Ali’s not sure if her abusive ex, Danny, who’s currently in prison serving a sentence of four months, will show up at her door. No matter as she’ll seduce Sam so he’ll protect her. Why not just make friends with him and let him know what’s going on? Friends do help friends, and being the person he is I’m sure he’d help her. Yeah, I know, this is fiction and it wouldn’t be much of a story then. It’s just that the whole reasoning comes across as convoluted.
- Even though Sam never caught on who she was when she called his security firm for installation of a new security system for her home, I find it odd that Grady would not have mentioned her in passing as she lives right next door to where his boss (Sam) lives.
- Sam’s sister, Donna, is the one who sold the house to Ali. Again, it’s odd that Donna didn’t mention Ali to her brother since it’s the house right next to his. Also, Ali asked a few questions about the neighbourhood and since Donna didn’t know the answers to them, she asked her brother. Again, wouldn’t Donna and Sam have discussed his new neighbour? Especially since his sister is asking these questions?
- When Sam wants her to meet his sister, Ali refuses as she doesn’t want him to know that she knows his sister. This makes no sense. Why would this matter? So what if it’s his sister? Donna was the real estate agent who helped Ali purchase the home. Hello?? They already know each other. This makes no sense to me.
- When they break up, Sam asks his sister if she knows anything about his neighbour over the phone. If we follow the logic that he’s already spoken to Donna about Ali, then why does he ask his sister, when they meet up for dinner at a later date, questions about Ali as though they’ve never discussed her before?
- At the beginning, Sam didn’t go with his gut about using his resources to dig into Ali’s background to learn more about her. When Ali clears up one lie about where she really grew up after breaking up with him, why doesn’t he just do a background check on her then?
- Ali double-checks with her lawyer to ensure that her ex doesn’t know where she lives, even going as far as getting a box number for her mail. If her ex wanted to find her, how hard could it be considering (a) he has a lot of money and could hire someone to find her, and (b) she bought the house using her maiden name? Just because she paid cash for it doesn’t mean your name doesn’t go on the deed. And I’m quite sure her ex would know what her maiden name was. Makes no sense.
- Also, her ex was all about putting on airs, about being a great husband and them being the perfect couple, etc. If that’s the case, how does he explain his arrest and guilty plea to domestic assault to his firm? Or even explain (if he’s able to force Ali) that he’s back with his wife after she divorced him? And why would any firm think to give him a partnership?
- Ali’s sorry that she used her sexuality to get Sam interested in her when they met. If that’s the case, then why does she get all dolled up (hair, makeup, spike heels, leopard-print tight, short skirt) and go to his place of work to try and get him back?
- I have to agree with another reviewer that Sam and Ali didn’t deal with the issues of her lying to him. They glossed over it and went right back to having sex. To be honest, the author does shine when it comes to the sexcapades as they’re well-written.
While I may not be a true fan of Ali’s, I really liked Sam, and all the guys who worked for him. Sam’s alpha-male but not one that’s over-the-top that I can't stand.
In the end I still stand by my three-star rating. By the way, if I’m mistaken with any point that I’ve made, I apologize and will make the necessary changes to rectify any error. As for reading the next installment, I totally plan on doing so.
4 hot sexy stars! I loved this book from the moment I started reading it. It was a cute fun little read.
The past is hot on her heels...
On the run and out of options, a desperate Ali Ross knows two things for sure...
Her ugly past will eventually catch up to her. And when it does, she'll need a strong and loyal man to help her face the danger head on or risk losing everything.
The girl is hard on his heart...
Looking for love and having no luck, former Army Ranger Sam Gleeson knows two things for sure...
His beautiful new neighbor is under his skin. And no matter what secrets she's keeping, her seductive sweetness is wreaking havoc on his hardened heart.
Hiding from a violent ex-husband, Ali knows the law can't help her. She also knows someone like Sam can. Fearing her freedom, she hatches a shamelessly impulsive plan that's as old as time. She's willing to do anything to ensure her safety, and that includes doing the sexy soldier next door. But when their searing chemistry unexpectedly bonds them together, Ali's hidden agenda seals an unimaginable fate.
For six years Ali has been through hell and back with her now ex-husband. On the run from him she knows that she isn’t truly free from him, knowing he can show back up at any moment. But Ali has a plan and his name is Sam. Sam is co-owner of Scorpio Securities Inc and a former sniper. Ali wants Sam to scare her ex-husband and she’ll do whatever it takes to make that happen. She uses sex as a way to hook Sam into her plan, but she didn’t realize that she’d develop feelings for him. Sam is a complete Alpha and he’s a stud!! This book was so much fun to read!
**Received a copy iin exchange for an honest review. Read and reviewed by Melissa for Alpha Book Club**