Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 6 March 2017
I accidently rented this film twice, the second time I added it to my rental list unaware I had already seen it and normally I would have been a little disappointed that I wasn't seeing a new movie, but even when I realised what had happened I found myself enjoying it so much I didn't care.

At it's heart this is a lovely feel good ensemble peice following the differing experiences of multiple New Yorkers as they approach the Ball Drop on New Years Eve. The intertwining plotlines are easily followed as we begin with Hilary Swank's city worker as she organises the evenings official entertainment as well as trying to fulfill personal obligations, Robert De Niro is a terminally ill patient with Halle Berry as his nurse, Lea Michelle and Ashton Kushner are neighbours stuck in lift, Sarah Jessica Parker is a mother trying to control her bored teenage daughter, Joshua Duhamel is man trying to get into the city for a date with destiny, Michelle Pfieffer is a undervalued PA leaving her job and going on a mad trip around town with Zack Efron, Katherine Heigl is a chef and Jon Bon Jovi plays her ex who just happens to playing at the event she is working, etc

For me the stand out here was watching Michelle Pfeiffer and Zack Efron, it was a really fun thread and their mad journey around town I think for most people would be a great way to spend New Years Eve. None of individual strands are very long so if one doesn't interest you it wouldn't matter because you'll soon be onto the next.

A film that features so many high profile actors would usually make me wary of the quality of content, but happily I can say all the multi layered storylines complimented each other perfectly. This is not a deep micro examination of social discourse New York style, but a light well meant celebrity extravaganza of fleeting meetings on the years last day.

This is a nice way to spend an hour or so and if I saw it in tv listings I would sit down and watch it again.
on 15 April 2013
I had seen this on You Tube and enjoyed it enormously, apart from the lousy picture quality ! So I thought I would buy the DVD which, sadly, was not much better ! HD had not arrived on the scene in 1978 and so even DVDs are looking a bit naff. On the other hand, Karajan sometimes filmed in 35 mm, much to the distress of the record companies (eventually he had to create his own film company, Telemondial) ! But this certainly does not seem to be 35 mm and the picture quality is not at all good.

Having got that gripe out of the way, the music making is extraordinary, even for Karajan, even for the Berlin Philharmonic. We see a side of Karajan that we don't often see,. let alone the ultra-serious Berlin Philharmonic ! They actually seem to be having fun !!! Maybe the champagne had been flowing on New Year's Eve ! Certainly, they are in very high spirits. The Light Cavalry Overture is almost vulgar but doesn't quite overstep the mark - not quite ! The Hungarian March (Berlioz) and the Hungarian Rhapsody (Liszt) are electrifying and Mascagni's "L'Amico Fritz" intermezzo probably could not handle any greater intensity.

In 1978, the legendary Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic partnership was close to its peak (which means the best of all time) and, for all the fun, the playing of the orchestra has that quality that makes you cross yourself fearing diabolical powers !

Normally speaking, all that might separate a concert like this by Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic from perfection might be a touch too much seriousness. No danger of that here ! This is a riot ! And so safely approaches perfection. Forget the mediocre sound and revel in a unique experience; you won't find many like it ! (And if DG or Unitel have a better original lurking somewhere, they should release it). The Jasny film makes a pleasant bonus without being earth-shattering.
on 6 October 2015
Too many stories, not enough time to explore them so most of the characters were a bit one dimensional and wooden. The chemistry between a couple of couples was hard to believe too. It's a challenge to work an ensemble piece without most of the parts being caricatures and this film did not manage. There was a good cast whose talents were largely underused. Having said that, there is a healthy dose of festive feel good and a few touching moments which makes it worth a watch.
on 21 June 2017
Bought as a gift - not watched myself but hear it's great.
on 4 March 2017
I love it because my one time hero is in it - Jon Bon Jovi! Nice story.
on 24 March 2017
it looks very american oh well,thankyou ile give it a watch
on 27 April 2017
Enjoyable chick flick, I loved it.
on 5 August 2017
As described and good value
on 29 April 2017