Customer reviews

on 15 April 2009
William Barclay has written one of these commentaries for every New Testament book, that look at the whole of each book.
For Luke, William really brings it alive, with lots of information about the cultural aspects about some of the terms being used.
Often multiple possibilities are presented as to the message behind passages, with the authors favoured then being concluded at the end.
Luke is done very well, and this book has been really great as both a personal read (on the train, in bed etc) or as notes to assist with Sermon and service preparation.
William also does his own translation, which is great to compare to some of our modern day equivalents.
As with all Gospel translations and commentaries, use with wisdom. I didnt always find 100% agreement with every opinion, but hey he's only one of us humans...

I have now bought the whole series and am working my way throught them. The 2 volume on Matthews gospel is my favourite to date...

Enjoy
on 19 August 2012
Barclay has a straighforward writing style from an evangelical point of view and is consistent in his approach to biblical commentary. He is very readable and gives some useful insights to texts.
on 11 September 2013
I wanted a good biblical background as well as something to get me thinking in a spiritual way about God in my life. This book gave me that. Although I don't necessarily agree with all his points, at least I have a firm structure for my own thoughts. The layout is in small chunks for daily reading, but I often prefer reading three or four at a time for the sake of context. All in all I am finding it helpful. It doesn't spoonfeed, yet gives enough information for you to feed yourself.
on 12 August 2013
St Luke's gospel is the most accessible of the four, the softest in some ways, the one that emphasises the future power of the poor the most and which most often represents Jesus in prayer. This is a review of the gospel itself, not of this commentary on it. Instead of hearing just the small excerpts from St Luke in readings and prayers, it was quite shocking to read the whole story from start to finish. The arrival of a young man who could raise the living from the dead and cure lepers, demoniacs, women with fibroids, the paralysed and others can only have had an enormous effect. Just imagine if that happened now! But it is difficult to understand Jesus well, despite the sympathetic portrayal. He was an angry young man and it was often difficult to decipher exactly what he meant. It is the (understandable) fashion to quote the sermon on the Mount and to show the gentle side of Jesus. But much of what he said, according to Luke, was inflammatory. He also preached hate and division. For instance, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children...and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple." Or: 'I came to cast fire on the earth...." Or: 'Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division." And he calls the crowd 'hypocrites'. He leads all (or most) of the twelve apostles into a life where they will meet a horrible death. In this gospel, Jesus is frequently quoted as saying that the poor and weak will one day be richer and stronger than their oppressors - but scores of generations of people have died poor and downtrodden since then. Jesus did seem to mean that they would get their reward in heaven - but I would understand it if people felt a bit disappointed by the lack of fulfilment on earth of those forecasts. Well, 2,000 years later, it is still a troubling story.
on 6 January 2016
Great Book if you want to study Luke's Gospel. I personally love William Barclay, of course it is more basic as it is not absolutely verse by verse exposition, still you find it enriching you deeply.
on 23 May 2014
So, so helpful especially in setting the scene at the time of Jesus as regards customs and the historic background of that time with very helpful interpretation of events.
on 13 February 2014
I am a biased reader of William Barclay commentaries which I have been reading for some time. I remember him on television many years ago and he impressed me very much.
on 26 March 2015
We love the seller. Thanks very much
on 26 August 2011
Bit heavy going so we never got to the end and bought different books for bible study. But good condition.
on 1 April 2015
Timeless Barclay! His New Testament Bible Studies have been a companion of mine for almost 40 years!