on 5 November 2014
I have just finished Never In Anger and already miss its company. Bugs had an interesting and varied career in the RAF and relates it in a most entertaining manner. He is self effacing in his writing and never comes across as pompous or overbearing. He explains the flying manoeuvres in such a way for a non flying duffer like to understand easily.

Also he tells us much about life of station particularly the social scene and also reminds us of the realities of the Cold War.

A tiny gripe would be he doesn't remind us of exactly who some of the friends and colleagues were when they are referred to again later in the book.

A delightful book by clearly a delightful man.
on 8 February 2015
Firstly, well written, good syntax, grammar and style. Secondly, from one who has served in many of the RAF Stations that Bendell has written about, but as a non pilot, I found intriguing to have a deep insight into the training of RAF pilots in particular how managers (Air Staff) make use of the experience of their pilots to improve flight safety and air experience. Thirdly, as a doctor who, since retirement, has devoted a year of my life working in an MS Centre with patients receiving hyperbaric oxygen treatment and specific types of physiotherapy, to hear the words of a patient from the onset of his condition and the personal fight he has had dealing with his affliction. A good read and highly recommended.
on 13 October 2015
This is a man who rose to dizzy heights within the post war Royal Air Force and was truly a child of the jet age. He comes across as a modest man, but achieved much in his service life as he rose through the ranks, whether as an accomplished pilot on the latest jet aircraft, as an instructor, or as a commander of others.

Sir, I salute you.
on 1 June 2014
I think that this is one of the best books written about life in post war Royal Air Force from an aircrew perspective. From learning to fly some of the RAF' s most iconic fighters, instructing USAF fighter pilots just pre Vietnam and ultimately as boss of an air defence squadron in Germany, Bendell had a very full career. The human side of his story is also very moving, living with MS which ultimately led to the end of his career. This is a great book for anyone with an interest in the RAF during the Cold War.
on 31 August 2014
I give this book five starts without hesitation for the content and quality of writing. It chronicles the life of an RAF officer passionate about flying. However I consider that it would only be of interest to anyone who has served in the RAF or someone associated with the service. For me it enabled me to experience the probable life of our late son who was tragically killed in a flying accident in Hawk jet while at the beginning of his career.
on 19 March 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this first account from a man who seems very down to earth for a hot shot fast jet pilot . The author had a long career in early raf jets and seemed very fortunate to be in the position of being among the first to fly Britain's most iconic fighters, the early hunter and lightning marks. The author even got to fly the "thud" during an exchange tour with the USAF at Nellis AFB alongside American pilots who would ply their trade over Vietnam
I can't recommend this book enough and as I write this, the current price is under £2
on 11 June 2014
This is one of, if not, the best, RAF autobiographies that I have read. The writing style is extremely professional, informative, well paced and easy to read. The topics covered are interesting - giving an insight into a fascinating era of British military aviation that is fast receding into history.

The treatment of the author's MS is matter of fact and not seeking sympathy for what is a horrible disease while not glossing over the symptoms. It is certainly sympathy provoking.

Most highly recommended.
on 28 January 2015
This is a collection of anecdotes recalling a service career filled with stories of an era that has been seriously overlooked by many aviation writers. Having served on many of the squadrons mentioned, I can honestly say that I was impressed with this writers power of recall and total lack of self promotion. How refreshing to read what turned into a trip down memory lane for me, as I reach the stage in my life when nostalgia becomes more 'normal'.
on 28 February 2014
A superbly written book by a man who has experienced the highs in his career and passed on so much to airforce flyers throughout the world. His MS is a disease Bendell has fought through for years without ever getting him down. A fighter who, as the title explains, never has experienced anger throughout his entire life.
Tony Pike
on 13 March 2015
A great read for those, like me, who have had a fascination with aviation (particularly with fast jets) since childhood. Many of us can only envy the life that this man has clearly enjoyed as a result of his obvious flair for the challenges put up by such a career.