- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
Neurodegeneration Hardcover – 21 Apr 2017
|New from||Used from|
Special offers and product promotions
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
Given the aging population of the developed world, and the increasing survival rates from traditional diseases such as cancer, the numbers of patients suffering from neurodegenerative diseases is increasing. Not only do these diseases inflict pain and emotional toil on their sufferers and their families, they also require years of costly health care
Many of the neurodegenerative diseases have been considered within more traditional domains of neurology, such as movement disorders or behavioral neurology. However, there is increasing recognition that this symptom–based classification does not correspond to underlying pathologies for which evidence of similarity is emerging.
This book draws together clinical and research information on neurodegenerative diseases, beginning with the common elements before treating each disease individually using a standard template. Uniquely diseases will be grouped by anatomical regions of degeneration which are largely but not exclusively related to symptomatic considerations.
General chapter topics cover what can be considered normal aging versus neurodegenerative diseases, and discuss the initial indications of neurodegeneration progression of symptoms. Diagnostic guidelines include how to apply cognitive examinations, movement examinations, and lab and imaging investigations to reach a diagnosis an often very complex process in neurodegenerative disease. Also discussed are patient health care issues, and the effect on carers and families, and palliative and end–of–life care.
- Presents a clinically oriented guide to the diseases caused by neurodegeneration
- Includes templated chapters with helpful pedagogy
- Groups diseases by anatomical regions of degeneration, including common disorders such as Parkinson′s disease, Alzheimer′s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/motor neuron disease, and multiple sclerosis as well as less common diseases
- Offers expert advice from globally leading authorities on the subject
This book will be of use to neurologists, and will be of interest to neuropsychiatrists who deal with psychiatric aspects of neurological disease. It will also be relevant to neuroscientists who need to know more of the clinical aspects of the conditions they are working on.
About the Author
About the Editors
Professor Anthony Schapira is Professor of Neurological Science and Head of the Department of Clinical Neuroscience at the UCL Institute of Neurology, London, UK and Chairman of Clinical Neurosciences Specialties.
Zbigniew Wszolek, MD, is Professor of Neurology in the Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Ted M.Dawson, MD, PhD, is Leonard and Madlyn Abramson Professor of Neurodegenerative Diseases and Scientific Director in the Institute for Cell Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Professor Nicholas Wood is Research Director of the UCL Institute of Genetics and Galton Professor of Genetics at UCL National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Institute of Neurology, London, UK.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Neurology & Clinical Neurophysiology
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Neurology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z > Neurology