Customer reviews

on 7 May 2014
The book will stay on my bookshelf for a long time! A wonderfully illustrated journey through neuronal processes in the brain as well as brief introductions to some classic historical characters in the field of neuroscience. I anticipate this book to be read and enjoyed by many who are drawn in by the classic metallic leaf cover art and kept engaged by the overall simplicity of the illustrations. Would certainly make a perfect gift for anyone slightly interested in neuroscience/psychology and illustration. I hope to see some more graphic novels like this one - excellent!
on 9 March 2017
Great book! I'm a neuroscience grad student, and gave this to my mother as a gift. She loved it! The illustrations are quite cool as well as being informative.
on 16 July 2017
This is the second copy of Neurocomic that I have bought after giving the first away as a gift! As a Neuroscience student, I absolutely love it!
on 6 July 2017
Amazing! Exactly what I was looking for. Really pleased with this buy.
on 24 September 2016
Excellent and entertaining
on 6 November 2014
interesting and clear
on 2 August 2016
A good introduction for children and adults alike.
on 4 January 2014
Great comic and makes a fun gift for neuroscientists. However, I do recomend a science background to understand the book. It appears to be a good attempt at making neuroscience more accessible, but really seems a little hard to understand if you have no science background at all.
on 11 August 2015
The illustrations are beautiful, but the concepts are way too simplified and the ending didnt have the impact it could have had. A fun book for the bookshelf though, if nothing else just for its beautiful cover. I imagine this would be a hit with kids and young adolescents, I'd have loved it at 9 or 10.
on 23 March 2016
Summary of the book:

This article is more of a recommendation then a review, Neurocomic for myself was a new and refreshing way to broaden my knowledge of the mind.

Neurocomic is a journey through Neuroland and focuses on a man who is lost there. On his way through the brain this man meets many scientists who are vital figures in the study of neuroscience. Among the crowd is:

Santiago Ramon y Cajal
Camillo Golgi
Bernard Katz
Luigi Galvani

To name a few...

On his way through the gentleman experiences the structure of the brain and the various abilities and effects that the brain can experience or wield. He takes a trip through a neuron, meets common neurotransmitters and gets to the see how electricity is used to transmit signals in the brain. He also sees a lot more but I don't want to reveal all :D.

This is not an in-depth book on neuroscience, just a basic overview in the style of a comic. The stand-out part of this book is in the illustrations! Such detailed and inventive depictions of the brain and its various elements. Reminds me a bit of Alice in Wonderland and the bizarre imagery that comes with the story.

If you know plenty about the brain then maybe pick this book up as a way to reinforce your memory recall through vivid imagery.
If you know nothing about the brain and the basic science behind how our brains function and work with our bodies then definitely read this book, it will give you a good foundation on which to build your knowledge of the brain from the ground up.

I need to buy this book to have nearby if I want to drag myself away from the written word for a while and immerse myself in something different, animated and informative. You will be lost in here for a while, its a nice change of pace, especially if your like me and get lost in heavy science fiction or non-fiction titles all day.

A great, unique take on neuroscience, you will come away from this reading experience knowing something new or at least seeing what you already know in a different light.

9/10

For more information on books like this or to read my reviews, check out my blog [...] or add me on Twitter for updates @AlwTrustInBooks