on 28 November 2006
The "Premium Collection" is a single metal box containing all DVD discs of the Platinum version of the Evangelion series. Now, I'll be honest - it's a simple affair containing a small folded package (DVDs clipped on) and a slip leaflet with information on the series. But who cares? That's not why you want to buy it! Let's talk about the DVDs!

And our top story today is that the platinum version is honestly worth it! The discs loads up very quickly and have a simple layout, allowing fast access to the episodes (audio is a selection of English dub or Japanese & subtitles). There is a modest amount of extras, but again you're not buying the box for that! The "re-mastering" was absolutely fantastic. There are absolutely no visual blemishes, the overall impression being that the anime could have been produced much later than it really was. The audio is crisp and clear, allowing you to hear distinct sounds which previously were indistinct or inaudible.

So, in short this is an excellent buy - your favourite anime as it should have been released on DVD years ago, at great value. As someone who enjoyed Evangelion without these enhancements, I can honestly say I do not regret buying the updated DVD set at all. And I cannot believe you would regret it either.
Neon Genesis Evangelion is a great series that is rather infamously confusing in places and it is a series that I have wanted to see for a long time. Thankfully the series more than lived up to my expectations and has easily jumped into my list of top ten favourite anime series.

The series follows Shinji Ikari as he pilots the giant Evangelion robot EVA-01 against the mysterious and powerful Angels. While the series does include some good action sequences, the true strength of the series is the interesting characters and their various emotional struggles. The plot is very confusing however but this does seem to suit the series well and although the final two series do probably reach a level of weirdness not seen since the finale of `The Prisoner' it is definitely an interesting finish.

This boxed set contains all twenty-six episodes of the series as well as directors cuts of episodes twenty-one to twenty-four. As well as this the boxed set includes three art cards of the principle female characters and a sixty page booklet which includes information of the Angels, the EVA's and the series itself, as well as including a timeline of Evangelion and a glossary of terms from the series.
on 20 February 2009
Eva is an amazingly deep anime that has stood the test of time. A super classic! And this is the 'ultimate editon'. With regard to other comments on this page, 'Death & Rebirth' and 'The End of Evangelion' were never part of the original series. They are a 2-part alternative ending which was created because many fans found the original ending (last two episodes) just too deep and confusing and not action-packed enough. I personally think that this, the original ending is the definitive version. And regarding the 4:3 comments - The original series is very old and was never designed for widescreen TVs.

I highly recommend this anime to everyone. It's rather epic and deep but it's very unique, and I love it!!!
33 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2009
In a few words: just great... even for those who don't like anime or those who simply haven't had the chance to see this, this series will blow your mind with concepts that people try to avoid in their everyday's lives... for the fans, it's REALLY the ultimate european collection...
on 11 October 2009
Great manga. Story line can be hard to follow, i advice to watch all and things do come clear
on 4 January 2007
Neon Genesis Evangelion is with out doubt the best anime i have ever seen and i have seen quite a few and have a pretty big collection myself. Not only is it the best anime, it's the best thing i have ever witnessed on any kind of screen. It is quite simply the most jaw-droppingly, thought-provoking, emotionally evocative visual experience of my life to date. I am writing this review having finished watching Neon Genesis Evangelion 2 days ago. I would have written this review earlier, but i have only just snapped out of my dazed confusion!

It starts out better than any other mecha anime i have seen, with really decent action scenes and some of the coolest looking characters in anime, in the Evangelions themselves. As the human characters are introduced and their personalities become apparent, the series evolves into a delicate emotional drama showcasing the social interplay between the troubled teen pilots and their guardians, friends and co workers. Towards the end of the series, you see the relationships of the main characters develop, as well as the intensely complex plotlines, before your psyche is thrown into a huge philosophical dilemma, which ultimately leaves you questioning your own reasons for living and why in fact you are alive at all!

If you thought Evangelion was only about giant robots fighting impossibly weird alien monsters, you were wrong! Watch it from the beginning to the very end! The last 2 episodes will blow your mind!
Despite the other reviewers rating (2 stars?), this is the definitive edition we've been waiting for in the UK. This set comes with a fairly sturdy tin box, a 60-page booklet with Eva/Angel info and a glossary of terms you'll hear in Eva. It also, obviously, comes with the 7-disc 26-episode run of NGE, remastered especially for this set. While the picture quality dips at times and occasionally shows its age, its much better than the VHS/DVD releases of the past. This set comes with director's cuts of various episodes, commentaries and 4 documentaries. It's the best boxset were likely to see in the UK and at £72, I was very happy with what I got. If you havent seen Eva before, then I'd be wary about your preconceptions or word-of0mouth reviews. Different people take different things from it, as it can be viewed as a metaphor for religion. On the flipside, if you just enjoy giant robots putting each other through skyscrapers then you'll no doubt enjoy it too. There's a strange directorial style throughout with the focus quite often on mundane objects for lingering periods and there are times when dialogue is repeated a few too many times. But for this amount of money, the only boxset out there to beat it in value is the Wolfs Rain Definitive Edition. Highly recommended by a serious anime/manga fan
on 27 May 2010
I like anime a lot and I have a pretty decent array on DVD at home, but this is the jewel of my collection!

First of all Evangelion is a deeply thought-provoking and emotional series, regardless of genre, and has jaw-dropping suspense-filled action sequences - I found it truly gripping stuff! I first watched it over the space of 2 days, starting on the day that I got it, and spent an hour staring into space after I had finished watching the last episode, just trying to untie the knots it had left in my mind!

This particular edition is awesome - I really like the tin and all the artwork in the package and really take pride in my ownership of it. Also, the english dub is very satisfactory and didn't make me cringe as they sometimes can.

The only problem I had with evangelion is that I fealt duty bound to pimp it out to all my mates and get them to watch it, which in some cases resulted in my disappointment. Some of them found it difficult to get on with and (in my opinion) dumped it too soon. The issue for them was the inherent "Japanesiness" of it! As stated above I'm an anime fan, so I am used to the OTT emotional expressions of anger, alarm, arousal, etc and take it merely as a part of the narrative. However, this is not always understood by infreuent anime watchers and did undoubtedly put some of my friends off the series. Please don't let this happen to you - it really is worth the perseverence, even if this is not normally your cup o' tea.

I give it 5 stars because I love it and I want everyone to watch it and love it too!
on 11 March 2007
What the item description and the other reviews missed is a complete list of what you get content wise, so here goes :

The complete series, remastered from the video release.

Director's cut version of episodes 21,22,23,24.

A colour booklet.

You don't get the alternate ending contained in "End of Evangelion". So for the whole actual complete story, get this and "End of Evangelion".

And for those of you confused about the movies :

Death & Rebirth - Death is an hour long recap of the series, while Rebirth is alternate episode 25.

End of Evangelion - Alternate episodes 25 and 26 in movie format.

Revival of Evangelion - Contains Death (true 2), which is the 2nd edited version of Death, and End of Evangelion.
on 29 January 2008
Evangelion has to be one of the deepest and most intesively complex anime series ever made. It is the story of a group of children whom pilot the machines of man's last hope for the future: Eva. Fighting against strange "creatures" seemingly hell-bent on destroying all mankind: Angels.
The story centres around 14-year-old Shinji Ikari as he toils with his past, his present, and the apparent future. Summoned by his father, Shinji travels to the city of Neo Tokyo after three years away. Once there, the city is attacked by the first of these strange "Angels" and Shinji finds himself choiceless whilst toiling with the prospect of piloting Eva Unit 1.

Plot-line aside....

Those of you whom believe that anime is merely for children.... think again. Evangelion requires absolute dedication whilst watching. Blink, and you'll miss something.
The ending of this series poses psychological and philosophical questions that go beyond the scope of the average level of human contemplation... and as such you will most likely find yourself watching this series over and over again.
The animation quality is of the highest I have ever seen (particularly for a cell-frame production), the soundtrack is significantly ahead of its time.

It is interesting to think that Evangelion is considered "Underrated" by anime critics here in the western world.

If you have depth in your soul and truely enjoy a great story, as well as plot and charecter development.... I promise you will not be disappointed.

Another tip for those whom have already seen this series and love the genre (combined also with the centeral plotline of this epic series)... you should also check out RahXephon.

In closing I would like to say that Neon Genesis Evangelion is so superb that I am unable to consider it as an anime series... it stands alone in a category with no title, revered by myself and all those whom have watched it with me. A category alone, however several steps above all of my favorite anime.

Buy it, watch it, love it.