Neither Sharks Nor Wolves: The Men of Germany's U-boat Arm, 1939-45 Hardcover – 1 Jul 2003
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Narratives of convoy battles, technical treatments of U-boat types and even the memoirs of 'aces' have shed little light on the reality of routine, grime and terror experienced by the average U-boat crewman. This book explains what it was like to serve in a U-boat service itself. In researching the details of the men and officers who manned the U-boats the author has been able to discover where they came from, what occupations they held, their career-tracks in naval service, and the associated functions they performed on board. As a result new answers have been found to a number of questions which have never been systematically addressed. How many men served on U-boats? Were they all volunteers? Did morale truly remain high throughout the conflict? Did the U-boat force gradually deteriorate into a 'children's crusade'? What was the true relationship between the naval service and National Socialism? Based on questionnaires returned from over 1000 veterans, and sources at the U-Boot-Archiv in Cuxhaven, this book gives an account of what service in the U-boat arm was really like.
Top Customer Reviews
It provides a view on the men in the U-boats, but it's mostly based on some statistics pulled from data from several interviews done.
I found it quite a boring read.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Archaeology > Maritime Archaeology
- Books > History > Europe > Germany
- Books > History > Maritime History > Battleships
- Books > History > Maritime History > Naval Battles
- Books > History > Military History > Armed Forces > Naval Forces
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Battles & Campaigns
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Naval Warfare
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Origins
- Books > Reference > Transport > Ships