on 22 April 2013
I’m quite impressed with this bit of kit. Like many I have hundreds if not thousands of both mono and colour negatives and even with a loupe and a light box it’s very hard to sort the wheat from the chaff and to have them put on to disc by a photographic shop you will probably if like me finish paying for a lot of frames that are not worth scanning The cheapest I have found is 50p per scan at a measly 200dpi meaning 100 cost scans £50. So with this in mind I started looking for scanners and came across this one. I was a little apprehensive due being the cheapest and had only 7 reviews but as I only wanted it just for proofing I decided to take the chance and was really surprised at the very good scanning quality. Not as good as a top end scanning service but I think it will please most and after examining the image one could elect to use a professional service.
It’s very easy to use, just load the disc, follow the on screen instructions and you’re on your way. There are 2 different file formats – JPEG or TIFF. 4 different quality levels and 2 different DPI settings 1800 or 3600. There’s also a small suite of editing software that will properly satisfy most except Photoshop fans.
The only criticism is the film holder is rather hard to open due to the amount of force required also as not all cameras framing positions are the same means some frames do not align with the aperture in the holder, as the film is located by lugs engaging the film sprocket holes, though these two points I can live with, slide holder no problem. Due to this I would like to give four and three quarter stars but I can’t so I give it 5
55 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 May 2013
Had loads of photographs when reproducing on a scanner it was tedious. With this negative scanner it is instant and to reproduce 36 negatives it takes 5 minutes. A little clumsy at first trying to line up the picture and placing it the right way round and not back to front but once you have mastered it it is very quick. Buy one before you lose all those negatives and your prints get damaged or destroyed
on 28 July 2011
Because the item was unbranded I had to think twice about ordering it. However, it was a good price so I did. The scanner is obviously made cheaply but it did a good job of scanning some very old 35mm b/w negatives. It arrived promptly and came with everything needed to get going.
All in all well worth the money and I have no regrets at all about buying it.
11 Comment| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 May 2013
Better quality "scans" [really a digital photograph, I assume] than the poor quality of my earlier Ion device [now redundant as it does not work with W7].
Not as good an end-product as my Primefilm 3600 "proper" scanner - but a lot faster. The Primefilm does only single slides and will need overall a few minutes per slide. The Gmyle device works in slide sets of 3 [or negative strips up to 6] and can process 6 or more in those few minutes.
The Gmyle works with 35mm slides, b&w negs, and colour negs.
I'm pleased I bought it.
on 11 May 2013
Do not hesitate to purchase this product if you have several images to recover/reprint from negatives. Mine has already paid for itself in money saved on having reprints done by 'professionals'. So far, I've only used 35mm negatives, but am looking forward to attempting to retrieve a few images from APS negatives - hence the lack of a review for that capability of this product. Once you get the hang of opening the holder, you put the film in one end and 'magic' comes out on the screen, 'developing' the finished product in real time and allowing you to position the negative to capture the desired photo. Thank you for this marvel of modern technology.
on 12 October 2013
I recently was given some old 1960s family slides,in essence old camera negatives put into square cards called slides,so i went about finding a scanner or projector on line and came across the product offered by Clever Gadgets,a little apprehensively i ordered,even though there was a couple of negative reviews,i need not have worried the Negative and Slide Scanner is absolutely superb reproducing fantastic copies to the computer,from where they can be printed.
The hardware disc is very easy to understand and takes only 5 minutes,once the scanner is then connected to the USB port it takes seconds to view and save image.
The money spent on this item is well worth it,particularly as you can not put a price on old family photos.
Excellent Purchase,Excellent Value,Excellent Seller
on 25 April 2015
The scanner works reasonably well and produces copies of slides that are acceptable, although the quality is perhaps not as good as I had wished for, but maybe that's down to my slides, a lot of which are 40 years old. The software supplied with the scanner works well and I suppose for the money it does all I want, however I should point out, as many other people have already done, that the slide & negative trays are rather fiddly to open and only time will tell if they are sufficiently robust to stand up to being used with dozens of slides. Overall though, reasonable value for money, although I notice the price has increased in the few weeks since I purchased mine.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 November 2013
well, first off it works and does what it says - sort of.

In colour, scanning slides of portrait images it bleaches out the faces, so clearly does not have a good range of shades/contrast.
I can see detail on the slide with my naked eyes which are lost on the scan.
which is shame because it is easy and quick to use. holiday shots etc seem ok, but again pale images get bleached.

Not bad enough to return as not working, but do not buy if you want detail or wide tonal ranges in colour images.
not tried B& W yet
on 2 September 2014
This is quite a good scanner. For the price, the quality is quite impressive and it's quite a nice piece of kit. It automatically rebalances the contrast on them and sometimes they look a bit dull, but I usually find taking them out and putting them back in solves it.

Four stars rather than five because I couldn't get it working on the Mac and had to use it on the PC. For some reason on the Mac the picture was always black. Not too much of an issue for me, but for other people, it could well be a show stopper. Your mileage will vary, etc etc etc.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 September 2013
As I only have a small number of slides to do I was looking for something cheap and cheerful , Having read other reviews thought I would give it a go. It arrived well in the time limit, set it up and to my surprise it works very well for a budget price. The Photo suit that comes with it looks good enough for my needs . The slide carrier is a bit fiddly and feels a bit flimsy but I think these are standard products having tried a Slide Scanner from Aldi and that was the same, only difference this one works Aldi's didn't.
Would recommend this product for the money and small amount of slides to be done i.e. 1,000 to 2,000 but see no reason it wouldn't do more.