Other Sellers on Amazon
+ £1.26 UK delivery
Needful Things [DVD]  [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Get £1 Off Amazon Video*
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The film is about a store which opens in the town of Castle Rock and the strange owner who sells the residents things that they think they need. In return he persuades them to perform pranks on their fellow residents which have deadly consequences. The story then battles good over evil with the sheriff trying to save the day.
This film is definately worth a look but it's probably better to rent than buy first.
Wow! this film was really good. Not all Stephen King films are scary but this one is pretty creepy. I would recommend this to anyone that likes horrors and thrillers.
Being such a large novel with so many characters, it would be impossible to cram all that into a 2 hour movie (maybe there will be a TV adaption made someday, as they did with Carrie, the Shining and The Stand to incorporate every detail), but as a movie I think they did a pretty good job with what they could. The 'battle' between Wilma and Nettie is pure excellent and I think captured the scene pretty well compared to the book (using Ave Maria as the music was a brilliant choice,as it feels more an act of sadness than horror to me).
Of course they missed out a lot, especially the relationship between Polly and Alan. Maybe it's gonna be one of them 'hate it or love it' kinda movies, but I gotta say I wasn't dissapointed. It's better than some SK adaptions out there anyways.
I maintain this is an excellent King adaptation, one of the best indeed, well worth buying. The only problem is the blasted lack of a British DVD version; we want a Region 2 copy Dam it!
- The film is reasonably entertaining, although the screenplay departs significantly from the book (which by the way is fantastic).
- It holds the attention with plenty of shocks.
- It's not got the feel of a budget production, which many Stephen King adaptations have.
- Max von Sydow is particularly good in his role as Leland Gaunt.
Now the cons (and they are biggies):
- The dvd production is pathetic, particularly the sound. I found myself watching the whole movie with the remote control in my hand, upping the sound to ridiculous levels to hear conversations which were recorded at a whisper, then desperately winding it back for deafening action sequences.
- Many of the characters are sketchily drawn. Sheriff Pangborn and Polly Chambers in particular are pale shadows of the important characters in the book.
Yes, it's a reasonably cheap buy, and if you're a Stephen King fan, it's probably one you'd want in your collection, but it's spoilt by the above.
Aside from the video I recorded off TV, I owned the proper VHS, a Norwegian DVD, this DVD and even sourced out a copy of the extended 3 hour TV version.
The 3 hour version isn't as good as the regular movie as it is a bit too long and drags the pace of the film down although it does add more to the story.
I have also read the book and for the most part I thing the story changes are better and work better on screen than parts of the book.
I highly recommend this movie to horror and Stephen King fans. 5*
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The war between Good and Evil.
Life lessons for human beings.
Intrigue, suspense,well shooted.
A credible and superb supernatural production persuasively presented -especially by the convincing Max Von SydowPublished 10 months ago by Terry W painter