Format: Cards|Change

on 1 March 2008
I want to start off by saying two things. First, this deck is hauntingly beautiful. And second, this deck is not for everyone. The subject material and design will intrigue and delight some folks or repulse and disgust some others. You will love it or hate it.

Having said that, my own opinion is that I really do like this deck, and did some back research on this before even writing this review. Reading through the book with the deck, I saw in the Introduction that the deck is based on Mr. Tysons own work "Necronomicon - The Wanderings of Alhazred". So after glancing through the included book, I acquired a copy of Tyson's Necronomicon and read through that, wandering back and forth between the book and the deck.

The deck is based on the Ryder Waite deck. It contains 22 Trump cards and 4 full suites with court cards of king, queen, knight and knave. The suits are broken into disks, swords, cups and wands. Each suit has its own theme color to make them easily distinguishable from the other suits. The reverse of the cards is a very clever design of Cthulhu, intriguingly done.

The correspondence "is designed to be in harmony with the set of esoteric correspondences used by the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn." And reading through the accompanying book confirms this. The suits are Wands - fire, Cups - water, Swords - air and Disks - earth. This desk also relies heavily on reversal reading of the cards, so that has to be taken into consideration when working with this deck. The deck is meant to work mostly with ritual magics and meditation, and is not considered a "fortune telling" deck.

Looking at the images will tell you this as well. Ms. Stokes has presented us with some images that will really give you pause to consider. While I think they are stunning, other people I have shown this deck could not deal with it. And still others quoted H. P. Lovecraft's work as fiction and didn't take the deck seriously.

The concept of necormancy is not new, and to eventually write a book on Necromancy and call it the Necronomicon would not have been so far fetched if it had not been that the book first appeared in a fantasy novel.

This deck is a natural progression of this process, working into using a deck designed for use in necromancy and the magical arts , calling upon real and imagined images to create a world within the deck that draws you towards the ideas and concepts that Mr. Tyson explains in both of these books.

The images work well with the usual meanings of the decks, but the designs are dark, raw and not for the weak of stomach. While the card for the Two of Cups shows a priestess of Bast pouring wine for a youth and having a statue of Bast in the background and implies what we usually associate with this card as a minor card of love, we contrast this with the Four of Wands, which shows a noble woman sitting staring amorously into the eyes of "The Deep One", very reptilian looking, having a tryst. A very different view of the meaning of enjoyment, harmony and satisfaction.

Ms. Stokes designs are very powerful. The Magician card is one of the most powerful Magician cards I've seen in a while, with the Magician raising a spirit from a grave. Now that's magic!. The Fool card is Azathoth - fat, naked, dirty and alone playing happily on his pipes. Such innocence, such blindness to the world around him.

The deck continues along in this fashion, and should really been seen and felt and contemplated to understand how this deck can work for your own path. I have found it to be compelling to use, but as I said, it is not for everyone.

However, I do recommend that you take a look at this deck and decide for yourself. I do think it is a remarkable deck, and if you have read Tyson's Necronomicon, you will find this deck as fascinating a work as
the book. boudica
on 15 August 2012
★☆★
If this is your first Tarot deck you will know no better so you may not be disappointed.
It is NOT Lovecraft,
neither is it of The Necronomicon.
See the HP LOVECRAFT TAROT deck for comparison,
and you will know what I mean.

I have nothing against the author,
in fact I own his highly sought after
manual of LHP dark magick
"Liber Lilith: A Gnostic Grimoire",
amongst other works.

Alas, the rather bland, junior artwork on this tarot set is aimed at the young, no doubt,
though had I been 12 when I opened this (the age I was when i first had tarot cards)
I would have been disappointed. The feel is Snow White's evil queen of Disney meets
what E.T would have read had Spielberg ever printed comics.
If you like that style, great. It just feels so much like
it was aimed at teens of around 14 years.

The book is glossy and the deck well-handleable. It's a colourful and fun, Harry Potter-esque tool for the beginner with a penchant for the darker paths.

It is NOT what it should be to suit that sinister way of The Necronomicon.
This is Necronomicon for neophytes.

Alas, there is a mass-market feel about the whole set-up,
the way the book and cards float too loosely in their
insubstantial outer box, which gets
crushed easily in the mail.

I felt a great disappointment in the whole set.

So, you want a dark tarot deck then?
There are plenty a lot deeper and darker than this junior deck.
Try these for size.
Listed in order of decreasing 'danger' factor...

Linda Falorio, THE SHADOW TAROT.
Aleister Crowley, THOTH TAROT.
Church of Satan, DEVIL'S TAROT.
H.R. Giger, THE TAROT OF THE UNDERWORLD.
Dale L. Hutchinson, Eric Friedman and David Wynn, HP LOVECRAFT TAROT
Juha Vuorma & Faustus Scorpius, SATANIC TAROT.
Michael Ford,THE LUCIFERIAN TAROT
Various Artists, THE ABYSMAL TAROT.

I have Linda Falorio's deck - and what power it lends!
It is qliphoth-laden, to the brim, and beyond the void.
I also use Crowley's deck regularly,
as well as Rider Waite,
and all three I would recommend.

I see the producers of this deck seem to
be reviewing their own product under a nome de plume,
and no doubt getting their friends to rate negetives against reviews
that critique this deck. Tough. It's weak.
I expected more.

Poor Lovecraft, he must
be rolling in his grave... and Alhazred is giggling aloud.

Save your money. Look elsewhere.
Nothing personal.
★☆★
on 19 February 2008
I came across the Necronomicon Tarot by Donald Tynson underlined with excellent illustration of the cards by Anne Stokes. For serious minded tarot readers this pack should be included in your library. I have used the Golden Dawn Tarot pack and a few others. The cards takes your psyche into a beautiful yet mysterious world of the Elders Gods, the Ancients One, bridging the gap between the real world and the unseen world. I am not a professional tarot reader but has done reading for a few friends with astounding accuracy using the Necronomicion Tarot. It comes with a beautiful book in a nice box which makes it all special. As soon as I open the box to carry out reading , I sense and feel I am exploring a reality unseen but real. Anne Stokes is an excellent illustrator as she captures the work of Donald Tyson through his understanding of Lovecraft. I can go on and on of the excellence of Necronomicon Tarot, this truly is a work of art and magic.
on 23 August 2014
Not so sure I should have bought this deck but that's only because I don't fully understand it...yet.... but for someone already well into the study of the Necronomicon it would be a brilliant working deck. For everyone else the Artwork is absolutely fantastic!
on 7 July 2010
I got this deck earlier today, and after looking through it and trying a few readings I realised I had to write a review. The artwork on these cards is really stunning. The detail is great and you get a real sense of depth when looking at the cards. The images are quite dark, but I think that's a good thing, it really works. All the readings I've done so far have been strikingly accurate.

This is a deck that you will probably love or hate, depending on your tastes. I personally love it, but be wary of that before you buy.

The deck comes with a bag to put the cards in and a very useful book with all the card meanings. The book is very clear and easy to use which I'm glad about as I haven't been learning the tarot for that long. I was very impressed with the amount you get for your money, a great buy, highly recommended.
on 20 August 2013
I bought this set because I like to collect tarot cards which have good colourful illustrations.
I don't use them or even believe in the supernatural or god but I am a fan of Loevcraft's stories?
on 4 May 2014
This Tarot Deck exactly suggests the feeling of Necronomicon. It is a must for Tarot collectors. I recommend it for collectors, magicians on the dark side.
on 16 July 2009
Most of what has already been said describes how good these cards are and how useful they can be i mainly wanted to show my appreciation of this product and they are even more useful when used in conjuction with other Donald Tyson works
on 26 February 2016
Super quality and excellent delivery
on 15 September 2014