on 25 January 2006
With the antenna installed I get maximum signal strength on all bars. Warm up time and connection time is almost instant (used to take about 5 - 10 mins!). I was considering selling my Navman to replace it with another make but with this antenna the device is brilliant. The device seems to be far more responsive, especially when calculating routes or getting back on track. The difference between having the antenna and not is so vast that it makes me wonder why they don’t ship the external antenna with the product in the first place. It really is that good.
Installation is easy. The tiny magnetic box sits neatly behind the bee sting aerial on my roof and the cable can be neatly threaded behind the roof lining so not visible inside. A small length of cable on the dash is all you see. Will never be as good as a factory fit navigation system but far cheaper and can be moved between cars. Thoroughly recommended.
on 6 August 2006
The antenna works perfectly with my iCN 520 giving almost full reception on all satellites. The 5m cable is just enough to stretch from the back of a Renault Scenic where it sits on the roof to the front of the car, passing under the carpet.

However, for anyone confused by the description, the antenna does not use an MCX connector as referred to above but a mini MCX (mMCX) connector as required by the the iCN 5xx product family. Amazon sadly provides no feedback mechanism for electronics products and my report about this by email has not produced any response.
on 12 February 2006
I purchased this item on the instructions of the manufacturer as I have a metallic windscreen. Other people say it makes no difference but I think it probably makes for a better signal if the weather is very overcast
on 7 November 2006
I was having problems with Signal strength and reception with my ICN 520. This was due to the Ford Heated windscreen in my Car. The external antenna has transformed my reception getting nearly maximum strength and reception. Recommended if you are experiencing problems with Signal Strength.
on 6 January 2009
This cannot be faulted for providing a fast and constant connection - especially if you have a quick-clear windscreen with embedded electrical impedence wires.
But make sure you are getting what you order. This is specifically advertised as having a 5 metre lead. Electroworld are currently advertising under this listing. They have only ever stocked this item with a 2 metre lead but will still happily expect you to accept their product. The speed with which they refunded my money does not excuse the wasted time or their mis-selling. So if the 5 metre lead is as important to you as it was to me - to be able to satisfactorily install this aerial in your vehicle - check with the supplier first that their item does actually match the description above.
on 12 October 2009
I bought this as a gamble for my Road Angel professional as I could not pick up a signal though my heated windscreen.

It plugged straight in and had a signal lock within seconds, highly recommended.
on 21 April 2010
The Navman MCX external antenna for my ICN 550 made a huge difference. I drive Peugeots which have a reflective windscreen causing problems finding satellites.The ICN 550 just couldn't work until I bought the external antenna. Now it starts working very quickly - quickly finding satellites. Unfortunately as good as the antenna is, the ICN 550's screen went into a washed out screen which spoiled my journey as the screen was unreadable.
Would I recommend the Antenna - absolutely.
Would I recommend Navman - not on my experience.
on 6 October 2011
As stated and seems to work, arrived very quickly. Mag mount is perfect and the lead length was just right for me. Cheap too!
on 9 December 2012
As described excellent service it was just what I wanted for Christmas and the New Year is that enough obviously not?

See one answered question