on 10 November 2010
I got this software for my 16 year old, as an aid to his study and also to help him feel fully immersed in the Laptop that we got him. He has had it a couple of weeks and still does not use its full potential. However when I have watched him, I have been stricken with envy. It is absolutely brilliant and waisted on the young. His version is the full bee's Knees bought on a student licence. It is NOT cheap but if you intend to ensure that you fully commit to it - it is most definitely worth it. - I wish that I had got it for myself and left him as he was.
on 14 December 2010
This review is made using the latest Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11, it's very good.however it would be brilliant if it did what it said on the box, it says it's fully compatible with Microsoft Excel, in my view it is not. You can dictate numbers on XL spreadsheets but if you wish to add or edit a comment you are forced to use the dictation box. The software writers must be getting lazy, because this was not necessary on my previous versions of Dragon since version 5. To press home the point, you were able to dictate directly into the comment facility on each cell, but now you can't, why?........... otherwise this version is superior in every other way.
on 10 May 2011
Its a good product but it takes some time to get used to. You might dictate something and it may do or type something else, something completely different. So you might get completely annoyed and want to smash your computer or return the product. But after you have given it time and become more in tune with it you will eventually start to like it. You have to train specific words to your voice, e.g you might say "flows" and it types "floors" or say "world" and it types "word". so you have to take time in training a word which sounds very similiar to another word. It is helpful in relation to word processing more than anything else. You can also use it to dictate your way around the interent, but its just faster to use the internet in the normal way using your mouse rather than your voice. Finally when the corrections have been made and your in tune with everything, preparing essays and notes for acedemic purposes can be done very quickly.
on 27 September 2011
I have been extremely impressed with this piece of software. It is really quite amazing to watch the words appear on the screen. I had my concerns initially, as many people would reading the claims made by Nuance however it really does make very few mistakes and does improved greatly over time as it learns to adapt to my speech patterns and vocabulary.

Prior to buying the software I read reviews claiming that the microphone which ships with the product was not accurate enough and that the whole system benefited greatly from buying a more accurate headset. I must say I have found the headset more than adequate and it does appear to speed up the recognition process as oppose to the USB desktop microphone I purchased separately.

All in all an excellent product that I really now cannot imagine myself without.

(This review was written using Nuance Dragon naturally speaking 11.5 it only made two small mistakes.)
on 24 February 2012
My best software purchase for ages - what a time saver! I am a poor typist but work as a freelance writer -bad combination.
Although my Windows 7 has a speech recognition programme, it is appalling.
This one though is great! You can use it through a headset, or upload from a dictaphone via usb. I can 'write' letters, create articles in the bath, using the dictaphone (included in the pack) and then let the software type it while I get on with life.
Needs a little training - ie read a prescribed text at a moderate speed - but after that its great. You can ask it to backspace/delete/ add quotes/ new paragraph etc - just dont get too excited and speak rapidly - my problem.
on 23 December 2010
Very good programme but unfortunately as I am Scottish Iam finding it very difficult to get my speech recognised. Bought as an aid to write reports and essays for university and so far been unable to use for that but I do think once I have had the time to go over and over words it will be of benefit, but it was taking me twice as long to do my work cos I had to keep correcting it.
on 31 May 2011
I bought this as I am a teacher writing reports. It arrived on Saturday and I didn't realise that it would be such a pfaff getting it activated!! You have to send proof of your job and passport, both either scanned or as a jpeg. I'm fuming that I still haven't got it activated 3 days later!!
on 6 April 2014
I spent more time correcting it and trying to get it to learn new pronunciations. I would be quicker typing the passage.