on 13 April 2008
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed "Narrow Dog to Carcassone" I was eagerly awaiting the Darlington's next adventure: "Narrow Dog to Indian River" and had it pre-ordered. It did not dissappoint and was as good a book as I have ever read!

Who will enjoy this book? Anyone with an interest in boating for a start, particularly those who wondered whether narrowboats were really limited to plodding up and down the UK canal system! How wrong we were! But before you set out it makes you aware of considerations you may never have thought about! (leaping lizards Batman?)

The story is bigger than a boating adventure though because it shows us that in retirement it is still possible to push the boundaries and have real adventures! It also proves that it is possible to be extremely amusing at the same time as being extremely scared! Terry Darlington's writing style is unique and his descriptions of the people they meet on the journey are closely observed and he finds the irony in every situation.

This book should be given to every employee on a "facing retirement" course. You should buy it for your Dad or your favourite Uncle! Better still, read it yourself!
on 13 April 2008
I read this book and its predecessor, "Narrow dog to Carcassonne", in three days. They are now established as two of my all time favourites.These books describe the extraordinary travels of Terry and Monica Darlington (and not forgetting their whippet, Jim) on their narrowboat, the "Phillis May" firstly to France, including crossing the channel and in this book, down the Eastern coast of America. However, these are so much more than just travel books. While they are terribly funny, they are quite beautifully written, in a style unlike anyone that I've read before. Terry Darlington's descriptions of people, conversations, places, and weather carried me along. I lived the trips with them. If you need to be carried away, charmed, amused, buy these books - you'll love them.
on 5 August 2008
I have just finished Narrow Dog to Indian River, purchased because I so enjoyed the first book Narrow Dog to Carcassonne. I thoroughly enjoyed them both and do not hesitate to recommend them to anybody who enjoys travellers tales and dry humour.Terry and Monica are a particular inspiration to people about to, or are already retired, as the books prove that if you enjoy moderate good health there is still so much you can achieve, whatever your age.
Ian Joyce.
VINE VOICEon 17 May 2010
This is not a book to read on a train or plane or in any situation where others might be annoyed or bewildered by sudden outbreaks of mirth. Like its predecessor, Narrow Dog to Carcassonne, it is a very funny book; Terry Darlington has a sharp sense of humour and an instinct for timing. But, like its predecessor, Narrow Dog to Indian River is not just a funny book. It is a perceptive view of a little-known route through the United States and its people, a journey of more than a thousand miles down the Intracoastal Waterway in a boat that was, to put it carefully, not really fit for that particular purpose.

Moreover, Terry and his wife, Monica, are in their seventies, better suited to their base on the Trent and Mersey Canal which is mostly seven feet wide. Traversing the Intracoastal entails navigating vast stretches of open water with no land visible on any side. What's moreover, they are accompanied by the eponymous Narrow Dog. Jim is a whippet of character- "The eyes of Princess Diana, the legs of Sebastian Coe, the mind of Ronnie Biggs."

As the adventures unroll, some amusing, some touching, some informative, some critical, the reader may think that the author has felt entitled to use a certain amount of licence - not with the facts but perhaps with the chronology: there is a sense of a master story-teller at work, shaping the narrative for balance, dropping in allusions the reader is assumed to be intelligent enough to recognise, seasoning the mix with verse.

Hard to resist, easy to admire.
on 13 December 2014
Loved the predecessor, Narrow Dog to Carcassone, and highly recommend. However I have to admit that I found this book rather a struggle. Certainly there are some very amusing passages, and Jim is a delight, but there are sections that are hard going and lacking in the wit and joyousness of 'Carcassone'. I have no issues with the writers style as many others have commented on in the past and I do share his type of wit and story telling. I did find however that this tale lacked that sense of positive adventure and was punctuated with pessimism and 'why are we here?'. As a previous reviewer has commented, how many times do you have to be reminded of the perils of large expanses of water, winds, alligators and of course the proximity of the Atlantic Ocean. All in all not a bad read by any stretch of the imagination but in truth a little disappointing after the brilliance of 'Carcassone'.
on 5 May 2008
Having heard Terry and Monica on Radio 4 recently I bought a copy of Narrow Dog to Indian River to pass the time recovering after a rather unpleasant operation in hospital - and the time (and the book) flew by. I thought my stitches would come out with laughter at several moments (particularly the cat/handbag incident and the "your rat" phenomenon) but more than that it was thoughtful, provoking, honest, inspiring and very, very touching. It is wonderful to know that there are still people such as them who are crazy/brave enough to go out and do crazy/brave things just because (they hope) they can. Thank you Terry, Monica and of course Jim for sharing your experiences - can't wait to read the first book now!
on 25 July 2008
A friend of mine bought me the first book (Narrow Dog to Carcassonne) as a birthday present. I've never read a book that made me laugh out loud so much. Brilliant. I was delighted to see the new book on sale and bought it immediately. I confess to saving it till I had time to sit down and really enjoy it. The stories and anecdotes are excellent, but it's the way the books are written that make them for me. Jim, the dog, is tremendous. The two books are fantastic and provide hours of pleasure. Thanks.
on 10 January 2014
I think they are absolutely mad doing this trip, but it was fascinating reading and I sort of held my breath about whether they would really manage the trip because I suspect Terry Darlington would still have written the book even if it had been a disaster. He makes light of illness but makes us quite aware of how frightening much of the trip was. I enjoyed this book very much and will probably read the next one too (although I was sad to read that the Phyllis May was destroyed in a fire and doesn't star in the next book). Quite an inspiring read I thought.
on 25 June 2015
Sweet, awesome, inspiring. I adored this book purely as an interesting travel narrative coupled with a gentle tone. I had no interest in narrow boats and you don't need one to get plenty of joy from this book.
on 15 April 2008
At long last, a sequel to Narrowdog to Carcassonne ... and it definitely doesn't disappoint - if anything it's even better - it was with great reluctance that I turned the last page ...
Doesn't matter if you're not interested in boats, Americans or travelogs -you'll still love this; it's hugely entertaining, weirdly informative, often very funny and a real page turner. Jim the whippet is a reluctant passenger accompanying Terry and Monica as they face any number of perils on their journey, and very definitely steals the show whenever he appears. This book should easily ensure him a place up alongside those other great literary canine travellers, Montmorency and Charley ...