Napoleon's Soldiers: The Grand Armee of 1807 as Depicted in the Paintings of the Otto Manuscript Hardcover – 1 Dec 1994
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The commentary is perhaps less consistently helpful. The author is apparently an amateur scholar and unfamiliar with the conventions of referencing sources. He also does not have a very good eye for detail, as in several places he makes observations concerning the paintings that are belied by a careful examination of the illustration. His views on the fading/discolouration of watercolor pigments do not reflect much familiarity with the chemistry and behaviour of those pigments, and so the comments regarding each figure must be treated cautiously. On the other hand, his introduction provides an excellent exposition of the history of the document and a cogent analysis of its reliability.
Despite these minor failings, Mr. Dempsey is to be commended for bringing these paintings to publication in a work of such a high standard.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Subjects within Art
- Books > History > Europe > Napoleonic Wars
- Books > History > Military History > Military Life & Institutions
- Books > History > Military History > Wars, Battles & Campaigns
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Political Science & Ideology > Political Science
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Warfare & Defence > War & Defence Operations