Format: DVD|Change

on 18 January 2006
I am now going to wax lyrical about this film. I loved it, I thought that it might be too girlie for my very boyish boys (aged 4 and 5) and my hubbie, but I made them watch it, and they loved it as much as I did but for very different reasons.
I loved the fairytale romance of poor girl falling in love with "rich" man (not)and the nastyness that is Ceilia Emry (who was excellent!)playing Colin Firths love interest. The ending brought a tear to my eyes, but the bit before then end also brought tears to my eyes but through laughter. It was magical, just like reading the ladybird book of Cinderella!!
The men in my life loved the naughtyness of the story, the comedy and the sheer fun. A truly wonderful peice of screenplay by Emma Thompson and a wonderful actress, who appeared to enjoy playing Nanny McPhee as we did watching.
The Donkey of course was wonderful as well (so as not to forget him!!)
Great film, one for keeps, from little girls and boys to the big grown up versions, a must. Rush and order it now!!!
You can tell I loved it!!!!
on 27 November 2005
What an enchanting story....didn't want it to end. Every house with little horrors needs Nanny McPhee! She's cool calm and collected and has a trick for every occasion. The children are horrible...their father is dithery...their great aunt a menace...their prospective stepmother vile.....their scullery maid beautiful....and then there's the horribly ugly Nanny McPhee. These are the ingredients for a fabulous story filled with nothing but magical joy!! A must for everyone who loves a happy ending....!! My daughter can't wait for the next one......please let there be more!!
on 21 January 2006
I have just been to see this wonderful film with my four children 14,12 9 and 7 and we all thought it was absolutely enchanting. Thank goodness for the box of tissues. Beneath the fabulous storyline there is a moral for adults and children alike. What was also so super about the film is that Nanny Macphee made the elder children THINK and not solve their problems for them. I cannot recommend this film highly enough there is everything. The children act well like children their facial expressions are so natural. GREAT FILM GREAT FUN AND A GREAT LAUGH do go and see this one what escapism
on 26 April 2006
Nanny McPhee Calling...

Now listen to me children, young and old, whoever you are and wherever you live. This is Nanny McPhee calling to you to teach you the five lessons you need to learn to be very, very good children.

Number 1. Always watch my film with an open mind. You have no idea what you might learn. If you are an adult, you can learn how to listen to your children. Listening is such an under rated skill. You can learn that as you make mistakes, you can also learn from them; a lesson every adult needs to learn. That is what all the Brown children learn in my film. You can learn to understand each other better as well.

Number 2. Always watch my film as a whole family. Whether young or old, there is a message contained within. For adults, there are lessons in understanding your children. For children, there are ways of helping you to understand your parents, as strange as they may seem at times. Be prepared to try new things together for out of newness comes life.

Number 3. Always learn from my film how not to treat each other, whether you are young or old. There is nothing so nasty as a child who does not treat their parent with respect and love and a parent who fails to love and nurture their child. All this and more you will learn just from watching my little film.

Number 4. Always listen and watch how good children behave as you watch my film. Parents especially can learn how to encourage a well behaved child as much as a badly behaved one. And children, always try to show your parents the right way to behave, just as Simon Brown does with his father. It takes him some time, but he shows him the way to be happy.

Number 5 is my favourite. Always do as my film instructs you to do. That much is vital if you are all going to be happy as a family. I can assure you that if you watch my film, your little family will be as happy as the Browns are by the end.

They learnt all of the five Nanny McPhee lessons for them. Perhaps you can learn your five lessons too.

Happy watching, but remember, when you need me but don't want me, I will always be there...

Nanny McPhee
on 20 March 2006
I thought I was going to see a modified Mary Poppins but ... it is so much better. If Mary was a jolly, magical, sweet nanny, Mc Phee was ugly, menacing but also magical. And the kids were more in number and more incorrigible (which reminds me of Von Trapp children).
What struck me as ingenious is how the nanny became less ugly each time the kids learn something from her lessons. The idea of reflecting the children's behaviour on the nanny's face is certainly not from Poppins. In that way, the children could see the result of their own making without being too self-conscious. Nanny McPhee didn't try to sweeten the bitter medicine, but she made them see how to accept consequences and be creative about it.
I have not read Nurse Matilda but I like the movie because the magic was very beautiful. Ms. Thompson has done two very great jobs, as the nanny and screenwriter.
on 5 August 2006
The flustered and poor undertaker Mr. Brown (Colin Firth) is having a terrible time with his children. Unruly and precocious, the Brown brats have invaded the kitchen, tie up Mrs. Blatherwick -- the family's russet-colored cook (Imelda Staunton) and have exhausted both the resources and the patience of the local nanny agency.

After their 17th governess flees the premises in hysterics, Mr. Brown at the agency's door, but is denied admittance. Luckily, he hears the voice of Nanny McPhee (Emma Thomson) who abruptly and unceremoniously arrives on his doorstep just in time to rescue the cook and the kitchen from being destroyed. The Nanny is a foreboding presence indeed, calm, cool and collected, she quietly tells the children to clean up the kitchen and go to bed.

She is indeed a shocking sight, dressed in black, Her eyes are beady and black, her nose a bulbous monstrosity, and from her upper lip a single snaggletooth descends in the direction of her two frighteningly whiskered warts. There is nothing about her that could be described as warm or fuzzy, and her manner sets the children on edge: We will never want you,'' says the oldest boy Simon (Thomas Sangster), the oldest boy and also the most incorrigible. "Then I will never go,'' she replies.

Her arrival is an absolute godsend for Mr. Brown, as he needs to get the children in order so that he can attract a wife. His evil parrot-nosed, semi-blind aristocrat Aunt Adelaide (a fabulous Angela Lansbury) has threatened to withdraw the stipend that keeps the family together, unless he can find a bride control his children.

In the meantime, the lovely Evangeline, the Brown's scullery maid (Kelly Macdonald) watches over the family and seems more like Mr. Brown's type than the wicked and tacky Mrs. Quickly (Celia Imrie) who seems more concerned with obtaining the family's inheritance than being a mother to the children.

Nanny McPhee is a real delight and highlights some fine British talent. Colin Firth is very good as the harried and ineffectual father who turns to his late wife's empty chair to consult with her on a mounting list of family-threatening problems. But most extraordinary of all is the wonderful Emma Thompson, who gives a performance that is without vanity and without flaw. She never allows Nanny McPhee to become cute and overly nice and she never sells out the children's wishes.

The film has a real Dickensian feel to it, complete with gaudy and vibrant colours and it tumbles along at the speed of a cartoon, with everything over-accentuated and all so very British. The dialogue is also wonderfully droll, as when Aunt Adelaide huffs, "If there's one thing I won't stand for, is loose vowels!" Fairy tale or not, the film is a real charmer and great fun for adults and kids alike! Mike Leonard August 06.
on 1 November 2007
Oh ho. Your initial reaction would be - whats a 24 year old liking a film like this for? It's a kids film, and its not right for a twentysomething young adult male to like this sort of thing. Well, I say sod you then. For I loved Nanny McPhee, hands down. I thought the story, the acting, the comedy, the music, it was all spot on and it takes its place rightly up there with my most favourite films. Sorry.
Let us start on the plot. Okay, so it seems from a distance to be a rip off of Mary Poppins. Its not at all like the it, though. Don't let anyone suggest it. Yes, its about a Nanny, and yes, it's a family film that pushes all the right buttons, but no, its not the same thing. Good, that's that over with. It's a fantastically traditional fairy tale with all the right ingredients - wicked stepmother, kids, handsome prince and absolutely stunning princess. Only they're not prince and princess, they're adoring father and cuddle-able scullery maid.
Colin Firth exudes so much charm that I challenge the most hardened cynic not to smile at his fumbling persona and...niceness. Kelly MacDonald is superb as the maid who adores the kids and thinks that the poor father simply doesn't notice her (which is obviously not true). In fact, let me stand up for myself a little. Accuse me of being an old romantic because this film makes me cry - but in defence of my masculinity, I think Evangeline is quite simply stunning, gorgeous, beautiful, hot, fantastic...I could list every word in the thesaurus, but I shall not.
Guest appearances from Derek Jacobi, Imelda Staunton and even Angela Lansbury simply pepper the supporting ensemble with brilliance. But I'm now going to wax lyrical about the simply divine Emma Thompson. Starting off in the film as a witchy nanny with warts, a big nose and a rather rotund behind, she loses her ugliness as the film progresses in accordance with the movement of the plot, and as she does so starts to display that wonderfulness that you come to expect from her. Her performance is a classic - up there with Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins, Maggie Smith in Hook, the Pigeon Lady from Home Alone 2; those women that you remember from your childhood film watching and smile and feel that warm buzzy feeling. I only hope that some kids of this generation remember Emma's wonderful character.
Nanny McPhee, in my eyes, is one of those very rare things. A modern classic. I cannot praise it more. It's a whole five stars. Ten out of ten. I can't fault it. Not even for a second.
I've seen it several times. I've cried in happiness, every single time. Call me pathetic, but...sometimes a good old fairy tale with a happy ending is exactly what we need.
on 2 February 2006
I went to see this movie at the the cinema with my friends - my best friend's 18-yr-old boyfrind was slightly embarrased at going to see a "kids" moive, but he came out raving as mush as the rest of us!!
The storyline is lovely; and it has refreshingly upright morals as well. Emma Thompson is fantastic as the magical nanny, and Colin Firth is as sweet as ever as the children's father. The children themselves do not come across as precocious brats, and the eldest is, I'm sure, one of Britain's up-and-coming stars. He'll be around for a while yet!
Enjoyable for all the family. Well worth a second viewing... even a third, fourth or fifth, come to that!!
on 18 August 2006
A modern blend of Cinderella and Mary Poppins, this enchanting fairy-tale stars Emma Thompson as the formidable, and magical, Nanny McPhee. She comes to tame the rowdy and uncontrollable Brown children (all 7 of them) and get rid of an evil step-mother. This is lovely family entertainment, which is not just funny, but teaches many lessons (and this includes lessons for us adults, not just for the kids). I greatly enjoyed this, the set was beautiful, the costumes lovely, Colin Firth and Emma Thompson proved once again how entertaining they are, and well done to the children who were all so convincing in their roles. I will certainly be watching this one again :)
on 17 April 2012
There are 2 editions of this film. One might be labelled the original version, the other is tagged THE BUMPER EDITION. Watch out for that one.
It was not easy tracking down what exactly is the difference between the two. My only referense then came from a popular online UK retailer listing all the SPECIAL FEATURES found in the original version and then some. So, we bought the BUMPER.
Wrong!!! BONUS FEATURES are nothing more than a short featurette, a BIG BANG trailer, some page extracts from the BIG BANG book, and an image gallery. No sign of the 2 commentaries, 4 featurettes, gag reel, delete scenes, etc. etc. all to be found on that much preferred original disc.
The video transfer is terrific, no doubt. But if you are looking to add this to your collection, stay clear of BUMPER.
Bah, humbug!