- Paperback: 352 pages
- Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton (17 Mar. 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0340995459
- ISBN-13: 978-0340995457
- Product Dimensions: 3.2 x 15.2 x 22.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (24 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 682,623 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Naked Spirituality Paperback – 17 Mar 2011
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
This is a quiet book, a deeply gentle and candid book, that is the distillate of a life-time of belonging to God. It is McLaren, in his maturity and at his pastoral best, singing a love-song of great intimacy and eternal beauty. (Phyllis Tickle)
In our rapidly changing world, Brian McLaren has walked with a generation through the painful and necessary re-examination of the nature of Church and Christianity. This work reveals the struggles and depths of Brian's faith within that exploration, and invites us into a most profound and hopeful examination of our own. (Jason Clark, Deep Church)
Medicine for the soul. NAKED SPIRITUALITY is filled with uncommon honesty. It is a tonic for all those who yearn for practical help with the development of rhythms of life - free from the stifling tyranny of legalism - that will foster a depth of Christ-centred spirituality. (Steve Chalke, Founder, Oasis Global, Faithworks and Stop The Traffik)
This is one of Brian's greatest hits, and not just because it has the word "naked" in the title! It is a book that strips things down to the bare essentials, cutting through stale debates, old ideologies, and ethereal theology to unveil a simple love for God and neighbour that is worth devoting your life to. So forget the clutter. Stop suffocating in religion. Slow down from the hustle. Tune out the noise. Unplug from the world. And enjoy this simple little book about life with God - you will find something on these pages that will help you breathe again. (Shane Claiborne, author, activist, and recovering sinner)
Prayer and spiritual practice tackled in raw and honest way and made simple and accessible for the reader to apply to their own life. Another inspiring and throught-provoking book from Brian D. McLaren, leading voice in the emerging church movement.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
* Practical. I bought the book not to know more about spirituality but to help me to try to engage better in prayer. As such the book proved to be very suitable. The author outlines a process and then begs that readers put the book down and put the exercise into practise rather than simply moving on to the next interesting issue.
* Simple. I have yet to meet anyone who believes they are an expert in prayer - we all need a simple guide. I found the structure based on 4 stages and 12 one word prayers to be accessible and logical. With some other books on prayer I have felt defeated before finishing the first chapter - here the material was put together in an easy to understand manner which gave me confidence that even I could embark on the mystery that is prayer.
* Depth. While it is simple in some ways in other ways it has tremendous depth. So having finished the book (which took several months) I have returned to the beginning to repeat the journey. I am finding that second time around I am progressing even more slowly as I feel better able to ponder and digest and put the suggestions into practice.
Some individuals have difficulties with some of Mclaren's theology. This need be no barrier to reading this book - as the focus is entirely on relating personally with God.
Mclaren expounds 4 seasons of spiritual maturing (Simplicity, Complexity, Perplexity and Harmony). Others have described development in terms of : 1. Accepting Authority; 2. Questioning and finding one's own answers; 3. Mystical - relating with God. In these terms it is a valuable stage 3 book - but that said I believe it would be invaluable for anyone seeking to develop or deepen their spiritual life - I would highly recommend this book.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Really helpful review of how different personalities and churchmanship's engage with spirituality in different ways. Read morePublished 20 months ago by Kate H
Have really enjoyed reading this book. It has struck a cord in my thoughts and clarified my thinking in a number of areas. Read morePublished 22 months ago by Ibn Battuta
A serious and quite deep look at how we stand before God and how we grow in the Christian life. Perhaps over-complex, but a fascinating, realistic and moving account of Christian... Read morePublished on 19 Nov. 2014 by TJ