Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 20 August 2005
Everything about this product exudes quality. From the cover, binding, paper and presentation, everything radiates excellence.
I have many "study Bibles", each of which I value on it's own merits and each providing individual characteristics which I find helpful in my studies of Scripture. Yet few, if any match this one on an overall basis.
Although a relative stranger to the Updated New American Standard Translation, it is "growing on me" and I have been warmly surprised with it's accuracy in a number of areas. Most of my previous experience being among the NIV, KJV and NKJV translations.
The text here is very clear, relatively large and extremely easy to read.
It is presented in what is best described as a "single column text".
The latter is a rare feature but in my experience it makes reference to the Scriptures far easier and facilitates study and reading.
Alongside the text are some of the best margins that I have come across. The margins measuring approximately 1 3/4", are located on the outside of each page. Ideal for making personal notes and references.
Each book of the Bible has it's own introduction and study guide amongst other references/features. A thorough concordance and "Helps" section are also included. There is even a section with advice on how to approach the interpretation of Biblical prophecy, as well as an outline on how to read through the entire Bible in one year.
The colourful maps are plentiful and accurate in their historical reference. Up-to-date maps pertaining to the current time are also provided. It is so refreshing to see the correct terminology used on the maps.
A chronological history of the Jewish people and the nation of Israel is also provided, together with a study on the Tabernacle and the two Jewish Temples. The coloured graphics are superb. Numerous blank pages are also provided for your personal notes etc..
A section is also devoted to the "Major Events In Israel's History" with a time-line stemming from Adam/Abraham, the Exodus to the Birth Of Christ & the Destruction of Jerusalem (AD70 & AD132), including the renaming of Jerusalem to Aelia Capitolina by the occupying Roman forces etc..
Also covered are the occupations of the Holy Land by the Romans, Byzantines, Crusaders, Ayyubids, Mamluks, Muslims, Ottomans and the British. The British Mandate and the Arab-Israeli conflicts of the modern era are also mentioned together with a reference to the ongoing `peace process'.
Appropriately there are no political observations, just relevant comments on these events and appropriate Scriptural references.
There is no "Replacement Theology" in this excellent presentation, just Scriptural accuracy showing the true place of both the Jewish People and the Christian Church in God's Purposes & Plans.
Although initially provided for use with the "inductive study system", (which is clearly outlined/described), I do not use that particular system, preferring to use this Bible as per my own personal method of study.
Another reviewer has described this as perhaps "the last study Bible you'll ever need". It will certainly take some beating !
Highly recommended.
11 comment| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 April 2009
I believe that purchasing this bible has been a priviledge. It really helped me to understand the goodness of God it does not tell you what to believe but it does exactly what it says helps you to "discover truth for yourself".
Scriptures take on a new dimension when you pray and study them inductively. This bible allows you to fully engage in the text and also helps you to reflect on what you have learnt. You develop as you read the Word of God and apply what you have learnt to you life. You will enjoy reading the word of God and not want to put the bible down!
on 20 February 2012
This is a fantastic bible. It has really helped me to get into the word of God in a new and different way. There are full instructions at the start about how to use it and carry out an inductive study and more instructions at the start of each book to help you study the book specificaly.
on 19 September 2014
Years ago, I had a Bible that was in single columns, rather than the double ones that have dominated the format for decades. I'm amazed that this happened, but I think I left it at a conference. I wasn't able to get another one like it and had to settle for second best.

Recently, I felt that I needed to get a new Bible. (I was borrowing one from the church.) I wasn't sure which translation would suit me the best. I'd used the NIV since the mid-1980s, but felt I needed a change. I did some research online to learn more about the available translations. Then I found a website that would send me a verse everyday in the translation almost of my choice. I decided to see what the NASB was like. The New American Standard was considered to be very accurate in the 1970-80s, but it was so literal that it was difficult to read. The newer version removed that awkwardness.

After several weeks of daily Bible verses, I decided to get the NASB. I'm enjoying it very much. I still remember much of the NIV, and so it's interesting to be able to compare that translation with the one that I'm now reading.

There are enough Bible websites to enable you to sample various versions. If you're thinking about getting a new Bible, then I recommend that you visit a few of those sites and compare what is available. If you decide on the NASB and you want the single column format, then you'll be very pleased with this one.

One thing that might put you off is that it has American spellings. That doesn't bother me because I grew up in the States. :)
on 7 January 2013
If you are studying a precept course (which I am) then this really is a must have book. Each book has its own "At a glance" chart to fill in, theres planty of space in the margins to write notes and its full off much needed and interesing facts on each book and on the people and history etc, There is word studies and maps and explanations on all aspects of the precept study courses. I have found it extremely useful and invaluable.
on 26 June 2013
The bible has been produced for those who want to study in depth and to a tried and tested format. I would strongly recommend it to the person, new to the Christian faith or who simply want to know more and develop their faith.
on 19 December 2010
So much information, hands on, what more could you want. Inductive system is an excellent way to study scripture. Kay Arthur is a superb teacher of scripture, a true woman of God. If you get this bible you will not be disappointed. Ideal for the person in the pew!
on 19 October 2011
I recommend this Bible as very interesting tool for who would like to study the God's word. The language is simple and understandable. Amazing translation!
on 11 February 2014
As far as what you read from other comments, it's definately a very good tool for knowing God's words. It's just a bit too long for waiting to be delivered. Still highly recommend this bible.
on 22 May 2015
I did not like the bible its full of signs and pictures, for i.e.... they advise you on how to make marks, which essential is a great idea in order to be effective when reading the bible. However they use signs like tridents... So I returned it cause I didn't really understand, why these signs are promoted in the bible since its based on Greek Mythology. I just didn't feel it. I am not an expert, just do some research and decide for yourself... The whole structure of the bible is nice...