on 25 July 2001
I read My East End in one day (something I have rarely done). I was hypnotised and delighted to read all the quotes. . . I could "see" the people and hear my parents and my grand-parents in the phrasing - and yet they were all brought up in Paddington (a good few miles from the East End). A true account of a lifestyle that was snatched from under our feet. If only we could interact the way they all did then, when there was real London Pride.
on 23 July 2001
Having been born, when the Old East End was on the verge of extinction, when people in suits decided that it was better to destroy communities and build the Nirvanah for the working Class out in Essex, this book brought back so many memoires for me. If anyone wants to know what life really was like, they should buy this book and then they'll understand the differences between then and now, and also the complete fiction that is displayed on their screens on a weekly basis. This book should be distributed to every school.
on 25 April 2000
What a brilliant read, it took me back to my childhood and the stories of my father and his parents. Just a shame the author thinks the East End is the only place such behaviours took place - I'm from south London and we were brought up just the same! Hence recommended as a great read for Londoners and those who wish to learn about Londoners - whatever side of the river they come from.
on 13 January 2000
A brilliant read. As I was born in Bethnal Green,I found this book fascinating. It gives graphic details of the daily struggle the ordinary folk of East London had to endure. It charts the history of the area and offers various testimonies from the older generation on how life has changed. Beautifully written with some good photographs, I thoroughly recommend this book to anybody.
on 10 November 2014
A true and detailed account of a community that has been sadly lost. The hardships of those growing up in the 1920's and the sacrifices that they made have long gone unrecorded. Sadly the politicians of today still do not recognise these sacrifices that were made. When that generation of young men went off to fight for what they saw as evils having witnessied the marches of Mosley. having little work, housing at the end of that conflict. Sadly our leaders did not recognise the need for communities and so many families became nuclear and now as the population ages and the politicians are niggardly in the grants to the Local Authorities one sees so many isolated needy people. When will we ever learn.!!!,
on 26 March 2014
Sorry didn't finish this book, felt like I was reading an encyclopedia when I was expecting a story. Whether I missed something by not finishing the book I won't know, but do not let me stop anyone from reading the book, it may just have been me.
on 28 August 2013
This is an amazing read if you are interested in the East End or not. The sociological approch to history is facinating informative and intuative. This is a book you can both read straight through or put down and pick up. I am assured that most people will learn alot about the way we lived, including current issues of imigrants today and in the historic context that made the East End what it was and is.
Pipstar
on 14 January 2015
I very much enjoyed reading this book. As I come from East London growing up in the 1950 I can relate very much to the tales and stories told. Also the history of how the East End came to be, the great melting pot, a must read for everyone. I will read again.
I have also bought two more, presents for friends.
on 16 November 2001
I really enjoyed this book, it bought the East End alive, and I liked the really interesing historical facts and figures that the author included. I think it was a great mistake not to include maps as the areas she writes about and their relationship to other areas was significant
on 4 July 2013
Interesting enough, but it portrays many things which were very much more universal as fairly specific to the east end of London. Anyone familiar with oral social history will not find much new here, I suspect.