Customer reviews

My Dearest Holmes
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.60

on 19 April 2017
A beautiful set of two short stories which would could wholly be accepted into the canon. As an avid fan of Sherlock Holmes, it was exciting to read a what could have been scenario which really could have been! The writing was intelligent and pastiche Conan Doyle without fault. I read the book in one sitting flat and then had to sit down and read it again. If anything, there wasn't enough!
on 18 November 2007
'My Dearest Holmes' is a celebration of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's world-renowned detective and his ever-loyal sidekick. Set securely and masterfully in the world created by Conan Doyle, Rohase Piercy writes the characters as beautifully as if they were her own, telling the hitherto untold story behind their friendship as they solve the case of the Queen Bee, and finally revealing the truth behind Holmes' faked death and his return, through the eyes of Watson, Holmes' own Boswell.

I was lucky enough to find this book years ago, to have it recommended to me, and I instantly fell in love with it. The story is expertly crafted and presents an understanding of the characters that goes beyond those traits so well known to so many of us. Now it has been re-published and is available to a new, wider audience. Any fan of Sherlock Holmes with an open mind, and a willingness to accept there was maybe more to Watson's unfailing loyalty that could not be made public while they both lived, will adore this book just as much as I do.
on 4 May 2015
Enjoyed this little book, which I thought was very movingly written. I really felt sorry for poor Watson.
VINE VOICEon 28 January 2014
I read ‘My Dearest Holmes’ following a recommendation from the gay author Paul Magyrs whose writing I enjoy very much. As a lover of the original Sherlock Holmes mysteries AND gay fiction, this felt like a match made in heaven for me but, sadly not.

When I read a Sherlock Holmes story the first thing I am looking for is an absorbing mystery; this novel contains two short ‘mysteries’ which are uninteresting and, it seems to me, would have been unlikely to have been accepted by Holmes at all being considered a waste of his time and deductive abilities.

The gay-slant didn’t help to save the book for me either. Conan-Doyle had said that he wishes that he had had the courage to make Homes openly gay, and certainly the original stories contain a frisson between the protagonists which, for me, adds very much to the tension in the stories. If you’re going to put sexual orientation at the front-and-centre then my feeling is that the sex needs to either ‘simmer or bang’ and this does neither; not enough there to create tension or portray a believable love and not enough to be considered erotica. Watson comes across as a slightly petulant wimp with a crush.

If you’re desperate for a Holmes fix, Laurie King and a number of other authors do a far better job.
on 19 January 2015
I like the book and it enjoyable reading and it. I like the short sorties. Can't wait to read again
on 10 August 2000
for some, putting holmes and watson as a couple involves distorting their characters to a large extent, but piercy manages to retain the characters well. the storyline is slightly angsty but not so that it can appear as depressing. the plot is wholely believable. i'm no good at writing a review, and many people enjoy this book far more than i have, so i would mark it as one to try.