My Brief History
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 27 February 2014
Well, well, well!
What can I say. Mr. Hawking truly is a remarkable man.
And while I'm not overly educated and got lost mid way when he went into detail of particles, black holes and the universe, I did, from page 1 right to the end, enjoy this read.

It's truly amazing how much of his life is covered in this relatively short book.
From birth, to a childhood of playing with toy trains, moving on and up through the educational system like a rocket.
University life not only as a boy genius but a party boy. Sure didn't expect THAT when I read it. And then ofcourse the unfortunate decline in health and abilities outside of his amazing mind, as his body refused to work correctly for him gradually over the years.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis - Just trying to say it is hard enough, without having to live with it.
But LIVE he did and still does. Married twice. Children. And to this day still teaching at the University of Cambridge. Wow.
I simply cannot express just how much I respect this man and how much I loved reading about his life.

** 5 STARS **
Out of this World great read.

Recommended?
YES. And don't worry, its not a hard read if like me you don't know advanced Physics or how he universe really works.
He does talk about it for a about 30 pages and I found myself skim reading that section. That aside, all round great book.
14 people found this helpful
on 9 October 2017
It took me hardly any time to read this book. A brief life history, a nod in the direction of convoluted scientific theory and the final bit entitled "no boundaries" reflecting a little, on a life lead with disabilities which, without the huge support of family and friends may not have been transformed into quite such a great success. Quote "Disabled people should concentrate on things that their handicap doesn't prevent them from doing and not regret those they can't do." The book said enough even though it didn't say it all.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 October 2013
For anyone whose life is touched by disability, or for those whose loved ones are fighting disability, this is a truly inspirational book. Ignore the myths surrounding this wonderful, amazingly inspirational person. Read the book...it will likely help you realise how much you may be able to achieve with whatever wonderful gifts you have been blessed with, even if you are facing disability. His writing style is accessible, funny and witty, and he writes with such humility and gratitude at life's opportunities that it will likely change your perspective on your life a little. Not just for those who have already read his earlier works.
One person found this helpful
on 26 June 2015
I did enjoy this brief memoir by Stephen Hawking. However, I would have preferred a lot more mundane detail of Stephen's life. It goes off at a tangent to discussion of the intricacies of space time and deeply intricate conceptions of the universe.
An amazing man who has an amazing brain and sui generis without doubt.
on 16 June 2015
I had too many expectations from the book. It is rather monotonous writing with little element of surprise that you would expect in a book like this. Of course, this is just a personal opinion........and you may even like the book, who knows.
on 11 May 2018
Gift for Husband
on 2 October 2017
Very satisfactory service for a well-written book.
on 17 March 2015
Interesting but still bogged down with scientific jargon and content beyond my comprehension. However, it takes nothing away from Stephen Hawking's genius and determination.
on 13 February 2017
Bought for my son, who is interested in physics.
on 21 October 2013
I know it has the word brief in it but it does miss out quite a bit of Stephen's life, like his appearances on TV and film/cartoons. I didn't know an awful lot about him, which was why I was interested, but it was a little to brief really.