A dog does not have to be big to be a friend! A dog does not have to be big in stature to be noticed or to make an impression! A dog does not have to be big to make a difference - good things come in small packages!

If a friend told you that their dog's name was "Butch" you would be forgiven for imagining that the dog would be of a good size, possibly a Staffie, a Bulldog, a Rottweiler, a Doberman, a hefty mongrel, a Mastiff etc etc. You would most likely not expect the dog to be . . . . . a Chihuahua! They are however described as dogs with big dogs attitude inside a tiny body. "Butch" the subject of this true story is one such dog - a tiny Chihuahua.

The introduction to the book tells of the author, Jenni Murray - BBC Presenter of Woman's Hour, and how she received the devastating news in December 2006, that she has been diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

Then Chapter One, starts with Jenni telling us about her childhood and the prescence, either real or imaginary, of dogs in her life. We journey with Jenni through these times that are both joyful but also sad when a beloved pet dies.

The book continues through the journey Jenni has, in both home and work life, the ups and downs, the coming to terms with her illness and trying to still carry on her successful career with the BBC. Into this life comes "Butch" and
the impact he has on the lives of Jenni, her husband, friends, work colleagues and even those who operate our public transport. Nobody was unaffected by tiny "Butch".

This book is fascinating the predominant theme is to tell us the great love that dogs have to give us humans, a love that endures no matter what life throws at them. Dogs are always there to love and welcome us - they are truly invaluable and so under appreciated by a lot of people.

I really don't want to tell you all the content of the book, becuase it will spoil your pleasure in reading it. Trust me it is a real page turner, a brilliant book full of courage, warmth and love. At the start of each chapter, there is a sweet little photo of "Butch". I am certain you will not be disappointed and will thoroughly enjoy it as I did.
I purchased and read this book back in April 2011 and have just re-read it, as I enjoyed it so much the first time.

I love dogs in general and have admired and enjoyed listening to Jenni Murray for a long time so this seemed an ideal book for me and I wasn't disappointed. I think it will probably be enjoyed most by small dog lovers. I've owned (or been owned) by dogs all my adult life, one a Great Dane, but for me there is definitely something special about small dogs and Jenni captures this. Maybe they bring out our maternal instincts?

Butch and Frida, but especially Butch, helped Jenni through two very bleak periods in her life, fighting breast cancer then going on to have hip replacements. Having worked for an orthopedic company who manufacture orthopedic hips, I'm well aware of the trauma (and pain) of such an operation. Thankfully, I can only guess at the pain pre-op.

I'm usually considered quite a strong, independent women as I consider Jenni to be but being the owner of a pug and a cross chihuahua/terrier I can relate to her story. My dogs have always been there to help me through difficult periods of my life.

Well done Jenni, I highly recommend this book.
on 17 December 2013
I really wanted to like this book but the woman in it just got my goat. For a start her husband is rarely mentioned and when he is your discovering a relationship in which they appear to be little more than flat mates and even then only occasionally so. They sleep not only in separate beds but separate rooms that's when she is even in the main home at all as they have two other homes one in London and one in Manchester I believe and the only other real mention is how she can manipulate and lie to him in order to get what she wants, Dogs.
There were a few interesting stories about the dogs dotted throughout the book but nothing really spectacular and that would have been fine and enjoyable to read if it weren't for the owner and her selfish and stuck up ways. If I'd have heard one of her radio shows I doubt I'd have bothered with this at all.
on 6 May 2011
I really enjoyed the book,anyone who has dogs will enjoy the stories,feel sad at some of them and laugh out loud at others.
Well worth buying- you will enjoy it.
on 15 May 2011
This was a sweet little book which i read in one night so not very long.
I think you need to have a little chihuahua to fully appreciate the story line though. As we have a little one the same it was funny reading about the same little traits that they shared.
Very light reading. I would recommend it for the feel good factor.
on 23 February 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this little book. It takes you on the emotional journey of the writer, with her deep seated concerns related to having had cancer, and fears of its return.
It Sensitively defines her human relationships, and her need for and acknowledgement of something they are unable to give her at this particular time in her life.
It shows clearly that chiahuahua's are especially sensitive and emotionally connected to their owners and as such make tremendous companions. Intuitively linked, and extremely loyal.
I actually bought this book as a gift for my 23 year old daughter who can't imagine life without her Chiahuahua. I wanted to have a quick flick through it, before giving it to her, and couldn't stop reading it. Excellent - thank you .
on 7 September 2011
this is a great book. if you love dogs then it will really warm your heart.the way she describes her love for the dog and the unconditonal love she gets back is truly believable and well written. a real enjoyment to read.
on 14 June 2015
Great book. Well writeen, as you would expect and a lovely story of woman and dog(s) and their devotion to one another. Good stuff about coping with major illness too, without being self pitying. Thoroughly recommend
on 17 March 2013
If you have a dog or just love animals you'll love this book - a great read, absolutely loved it!
on 2 March 2012
Beautifully written book, Jenni Murray tells the lovely story of her boy Butch. Its an easy to read book that I had to finish as soon as possible
because it was so enjoyable.

A must for every dog lover and the book really sums up the spirit of all beautiful small dogs...

I was really sad when I had finished reading this book because I enjoyed it so much.....