- Save 10% on Books for Schools offered by Amazon.co.uk when you purchase 10 or more of the same book. Here's how (terms and conditions apply) Enter code SCHOOLS2016 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Mussolini Paperback – 25 May 2010
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"The definitive study of the Italian dictator."--"Library Journal"
The definitive study of the Italian dictator. "Library Journal""
From the Publisher
Please visit the support web site, sample the first chapter, read an interview, post questions to the author, audioclips and sample images from the book. -- Dieser Text bezieht sich auf eine vergriffene oder nicht verfügbare Ausgabe dieses Titels.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
There is also a slight tendency to introduce new characters out of the blue without making any real attempt to explain in detail who they were, what their background was, how they became part of the story, etc. This happens in particular with Achille Starace and Roberto Farinacci, two key figures in the Fascist hierarchy who met the same grizzly end as the Duce. Perhaps the author just assumes that you know all about them already.
In addition, I found the book irritatingly pretentious at times, with a proliferation of foreign words - not just Italian ones, which would be understandable. Is it really necessary, for example, to use the word "mentalité"? Why not just say "mentality"? Or "mindset", "way of thinking", etc? Or am I just a Philistine? And how about the following description of a photograph taken of the Duce after his execution, which shows him lying on top of his mistress with a "gagliardetto" (a sceptre-like fascist symbol) in his hand: "... he looked for a moment like a dead or deposed king, clutching hopelessly but unrepentantly to the hollow (if phallic) sceptre of power".Read more ›
As a general reader, I found the level of detail to be mostly adequate and I certainly learned all that I wanted to. However, I feel that people who already have some prior knowledge of the man or Italy in this period may well find this book more suited to them (one or two events were referenced without much explanation, as though the reader should have already known the details).
Moreover, I have to agree with some of the other reviewers who said that they found the writing style tough going. Whilst I understand that the use of sophisticated vocabulary by a writer is a way of showing their intelligence/skill, in this book I personally found it too much and I not surprisingly discovered that having to look in a dictionary every few minutes was really off-putting, and consequently I was unable to 'get into' some chapters.
Of course, it does still serve perfectly well as a reference book, and I would thus recommend it to the reader with a more scholarly interest in the subject.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I liked this book in comparison to the authors book on Fascist Italy which was harder going.This is an easier and more interesting read that gets more interesting as the books goes... Read morePublished on 30 Jan. 2014 by PSMorris
there's no doubting the sexyness of mussolini, that strong jaw ...a penchant for uniforms... grrr.
But this book covered none of Mussolini's famous daliances with the men and... Read more
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Italy
- Books > Biography > Political > Countries & Regions
- Books > Biography > Political > Political Leaders & Leadership
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Teaching & Learning
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > France > French Heads of State
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Europe > Italy
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Political History > Fascism & Nazism
- Books > History > Political History > Politicians
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Battles & Campaigns
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Historical Figures
- Books > Science & Nature > Education