This book explores the pagan and early Christian customs of England and the Isle of Man. The author has clearly done research and presents a festival of firelighting, well dressing and other customs. However this is supposed to be a mystery, and there the author seems to have run out of steam.
The protagonist Libby Serjeant notes that a man has disappeared but she spends the majority of the book declaring that she is not going to investigate it (well, what are the police paid for, we ask) and mooching about her house declaring that she does not want to move even though her partner is putting a lot of work into restoring another home for them. She has interminable meals, snacks and chats with various characters and if the disappearance/murder does get solved it is only by Libby's falling over the obvious at the very end.
The tale is not very good at holding our attention and all the paganism may be well described but we could read a reference book for that purpose.
on 30 January 2016
These 'who done its' just get better and better, the author keeps you guessing all the way through the book. Great story as always, I highly recommend her books, though I haven't read them all yet, but when I do I will be keeping them on my bookcase for further reading at some time in the future.
on 7 July 2010
Although I did enjoy this murder mystery set mainly in Kent England I was a bit disappointed, it didn't hit the mark as her other books do.
Her books appeal to me because Libby and Fran are about my age so I can relate to them.
The ladies do get themselves into quite a pickle even if they don't mean to.
The green man is the background to the story and his murder whilst on a parade through the town, although the plot is a good one I think the story didn't quite gel but while I still enjoyed it her other books are better.
on 3 March 2012
not as good as some of her books. Lots of padding - with the constant going over events with various people and recounting murders in previous books. Felt the author really has something against Morris dancers! Not much of a plot really. ONE thing that annoys me about all her her books is the way Libby is constantly putting boiled water back on her Rayburn to boil, her tea must be be vile! Fran's "moments" don't seem to appear much in these books and their involment with the police is unrealistic.
on 3 November 2015
Engaging main characters and interesting plot. However, too many note character, making the plot quite difficult to follow If you can keep all the twists and turns and characters straight in your head, a good read.
A death among some local Morris dancers excites Libby's curiosity and leads her to do some research in Cornwall - way out of her comfort zone in Kent. She discovers the darker aspects of the Morris dancing tradition and when she returns to Kent she and her psychic friend, Fran, set out to try and find out what happened and who is responsible.

This is a fascinating mystery which includes lots of information about the Morris tradition as well as modern skulduggery. Libby and Fran find themselves using their contacts from previous investigations to help them with this current mystery.

I really enjoyed this sixth volume of this well written series. I like Libby and Fran and the way their relationship doesn't run smoothly all the time. I also like the psychic aspects of these mysteries. The book can be read as a standalone novel but is probably better read as part of the series.
on 5 May 2010
As an avid reader of cosy crime, Lesley Cookman's Libby Sarjeant series has become a must-have for my keeper bookshelves, and this is the best yet. In fact, they just keep getting better and better. I had intended to save Murder in the Green for my summer holidays, but started reading "just one page" and couldn't put it down until I'd finished it. I loved it! And I defy anyone to find a better opening paragraph this year. Vivid, spooky and mysterious, it not only sent shivers up my spine but also hooked me into the story and kept me hooked until the last page. As always with Lesley's novels there were red herrings a-plenty, I was sure I knew who-dunnit many, many times (and was wrong!), and I learned a lot about a subject I knew very little about. I love meeting the familiar cast of characters - especially Libby and Harry - who are now as real to me as my neighbours and can't wait for the next one. Fabulous!
on 6 June 2011
This Libby escapade really grabbed my interest. Firstly because the topic for the story was the legends of The Green Man and the Morris Men. Secondly, it made a change for Libby and co to be away from Kent for a while as the story takes them to Cornwall, providing a change of direction in every sense. I love the Kent based stories, I have spent happy holidays in the county, but sometimes it's good to have a regular series taken out of the familiar surroundings.
on 6 August 2015
Maybe I shouldn’t have started the Libby Sarjeant series with this book, as I’m sure it must fall short of Lesley Cookman’s general standard.
I started out enjoying her comfortable, non-confrontational style, settled to some easy reading, with a bit of spice and mystery – and found myself dropping off from boredom.
Too much padding, repetition and small-talk.
There were indications of gruesome discoveries and scary scenarios – but nothing came of them. Disappointingly the possibilities were just passed over.
Every scene had me straining at the leash saying, ‘yes, but for goodness’ sake, get on with it.’
The Morris, and pagan rites links, were interesting, and could have been so much more than just background to what turned out to be a fairly pedestrian offering.
I was expecting great things of the androgynous bucket-and-spade person. What was the point of that?
Even the denouement was vague and unexploited. I got it, yes, but the writer could have made it so much more telling.
There was hardly any use of Fran’s fascinating talent and I got thoroughly teed-off with Libby constantly pointing out her surname contained a J.
However – nothing daunted I have started on another – her first set in Steeple Martin- and it is altogether more promising, so I shall persevere and hope to be able to write something more positive in the future.
My advice to new reader of Lesley Cookman is to start at the beginning – certainly not with this book.
on 17 May 2013
I love this series of books, I am now half way through all eleven it does help to read them in order just to connect the dots with the main characters such as Libby and Fran. This the sixth book in the series.