on 1 February 2012
I was not as keen on this book as the others in the series. It felt a little 'samey' and much of it seemed to be the two women (Libby & Fran) chattering (boringly) about possible solutions. There was almost nothing of Libby's (dare I call it) theatre hobby and we didn't have much of Harry and Peter, Libby's gay friends who run the local veggie restaurant. They always make me laugh & I missed their cracks. I felt that some of the lightness, interest and panache of the other books was missing here but perhaps I was just in the wrong mood to read it.
on 25 May 2011
Murder To Music sees Libby Sarjeant investigating a house that's believed to be haunted. A one-time sanatorium, there's more to the place than meets the eye and the graves Libby and her friend, Fran, discover in the grounds are not a little suspicious. There are plenty of twists and turns and we meet up with all the familiar characters in this series, which makes it a great read for all cosy crime fans.
on 24 July 2011
I'm completely hooked on this series, and as well as trying to solve the crime (cosy, not gory) before Libby and Fran, I love the way the regular supporting characters develop and the glimpses the reader has into their lives in each book, so that it's like catching up with old friends. Murder to Music has some lovely spine-tingling moments - a rambling haunted house where the ghost plays the piano; several people who clearly aren't what they first appear to be; and an old crime with old graves - and a very much more modern one - all wonderfully mixed together for Libby to unravel. I bought this book to read on holiday but started it in the airport, was glued to it for the entire flight, and finished it long before I'd reached the beach. Couldn't put it down. TV series anyone?
on 1 May 2012
This is a murder mystery with two mid-fifties women as the main investigators. As the protagonist is not the assigned Inspector, the author is able to dispense with the necessity of describing detailed police procedures and concentrate on the plot and characterisation.

The plot is complicated with an awful lot crammed into it but Cookman leads the reader through it clearly without leading you into confusion. She uses an awful lot of dialogue in this book but it works very well and helps to give you an insight into each of her unique characters.

This is the 8th case in a series of Libby Sergeant mysteries but it works very well as a stand-alone book.

I loved the main characters and enjoyed reading this easy-read book.

Personal read 4/5

Group read 2/5 as there would not be much to discuss.
on 6 March 2012
I ENJOY all Lesley Cookman's books. I use them as escapism and I am definitely not ashamed of that. This book was darker than most of the others, but it still inclines to the light and gave me a good feeling when it was finished.
Libby and Fran look into a puzzle for Fran's Creative Writing tutor, and find links to past and present deaths, and help to spoil a "good" business for a rather nasty person.
on 6 March 2012
As always the service was extremely good - the book is in the condition stated and arrived quickly. As for the book itself, it wasn't my favourite Lesley Cookman but it is a light and entertaining, and undemanding, read. Just right for bedtime.
on 4 March 2013
I am not finishing this as I find it too confusing
as i have the rest of her books
I ordered 4 of them thinking I had found a grear new Brit detective but noy impressed with her style or plots
on 30 January 2013
Follow this author - book arrived well packaged and on time as described in your emails on updating me with its progress
on 1 July 2013
I enjoyed this book also. Lots of twists and turns in this one. Will definitely be reading more of this author.
on 6 February 2013
excellent book in really good condition.