Customer reviews

Murder Mile (Di Rob Brennan 2)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 February 2013
Brennan is a good cop which makes this series slightly different from the usual crime novels. He isn't popular with his superiors which makes him all the more determined to do his job properly. If you like Irvine Welsh then you'll like this too
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 August 2012
Move over Tom Thorne I think I have a new favourite detective in DI Rob Brennan. And I love Tom Thorne, so DI Brennan must be good. I read Truth Lies Bleeding in three sittings in one day so immediately knew I was onto something good with Tony Black and after finishing that I couldn't wait to start this second book in the series. My only disappointment is the wait for the next DI Brennan novel, of which there has to be one. I love his no nonsense attitude and the fact he completely ignores the politics of his job and his superiors, he's focused on solving the crime not playing things by the book.

The story of this book was similar to the last book but that didn't bother me too much. It was an extremely readable book, crime fiction authors tend to have random chapters which (as a bad example) are meant to give information about various characters back stories or to add suspense but they usually just end up going over my head and complicating the story for me, this book is just straight to the point, no fancy fluff and just very easy to get lost in for a few hours.

I must admit though I hated the new Chief Super and was disappointed that there were only one or two mentions of the previous Super from TLB, I thought she had potential as a character. I also enjoy the little double act with McGuire, and hope it can continue (view spoiler).

Fans of crime fiction must read this book and Truth Lies Bleeding, both amazing reads especially for fans of Mark Billingham and Stuart MacBride. I hope the wait isn't too long for another DI Brennan novel.
on 21 May 2012
Murder Mile, the gritty and hard-hitting new crime novel by Tony Black, is bookended by a brilliantly atmospheric prologue - a sozzled youth's discovery of a gruesomely mutilated corpse - and a climax so tense it would turn the Taliban to booze in order to steady their nerves, it really would.

Sandwiched between these two gripping scenes, Black gives us a dense and intense police procedural as D I Rob Brennan investigates the murder and realises that he may have a serial killer on his hands.

Black first introduced us to the cranky, morose and brooding D I Rob Brennan in the splendid Truth Lies Bleeding and with Murder Mile he has upped the ante with a character study that is not for the meek.

Brennan lives for his work, is his work, and as such the rest of his life has disintegrated. In the course of this murder investigation, though, he also starts to doubt the usefulness of his job, of his existence, even - pull on that thread hard enough and your whole live will unravel, sunshine -but with the resignation of Sisyphus he plods on.

As in Truth Lies Bleeding, Black also paints a brilliant portrait of those on the margins of society, Edinburgh's underbelly, living a life on the parameters of the controlled chaos of Brennan's world. A life that is nihilistic, bleak, true and very, very real.

Murder Mile is a terrific, unflinching, intense and harrowing look into the heart of the city's darkness , digging deeper than simple social realism and confirming Tony Black's position a master of Tartan Noir.
I've only just started to read Tony Black & specifically DI Brennan. Rob is a difficult person to like or sympathise with, although you do feel that if he didn't keep such an iron hold on his feelings he might become a gibbering wreck. I love the wide use of vocabulary - the like of which I haven't seen in this genre for some time & the writing flows easily. In this 2nd book in the series, Rob, in my opinion becomes too introspective & too much of this will inevitably become boring. Hopefully in book 3 (if there is one) he will become slightly more rounded or interesting! The plot was great, took turns I had thought might go another way & certainly showed the gritty side of life in Edinburgh. The end was a little unrealistic however.
on 12 April 2012
As I'd thoroughly enjoyed the first DI Rob Brennan story Truth Lies Bleeding, I was delighted to receive a pre-publication copy of Murder Mile.

Based In Edinburgh, readers can expect a breath taking narrative as DI Rob Brennan investigates the murder of a young girl whose mutilated body has been found in a field. The case has strong similarities to a five year old cold case.

Very well written, the characters are well drawn and the whole story flows.

I found myself holding my breath as I raced through the final chapters and if I was able to allocate more than five stars, I certainly would!

An excellent tale; I cannot recommend this highly enough and hope there are more DI Brennan exploits in the pipeline.
on 20 August 2012
I started to read MURDER MILE on Thursday night and couldn't put it down at all. I actually had to force myself to put it away for the night, as I had to be in the office on Friday morning quite early because of some very important meetings. Friday night was already scheduled to meet up at a monthly get-together with cineasts, so the next time I finally could pick up MURDER MILE again was around noon on Saturday and barely an hour later I had finished one of the most exciting, thrilling, gripping, awesome, fantastic, chilling, gruesome, thought-provoking and terrific books ever!!!

I liked DI Rob Brennan from the very first start while reading THRUTH LIES BLEEDING and Black still brilliantly manages to tie his main character's personal story, spinning in and out of control, into the tight woven crime story ... especially with his new case in MURDER MLE and the fact that one of the victims went to the same school DI Brennan's daughter goes to. Rob Brennan still does his job to perfection, but in MURDER MILE you get many more glimpses behind the 'facade' of the DI, what he thinks and what makes him 'tick'!!! I felt very attached to him already in Black's first novel about him ... but now I've got to admit that I'm definitely in love with DI Brennan, a fictional character! Ha... and I can't wait for his next case! To sum up, I'd like to say that MURDER MILE is another literary Masterpiece by the *Master of Tartan Noir* ..., if I was able to allocate more than five stars, I certainly would!!! Highly recommended!!!!
on 7 October 2012
A good author is one that knows how to get out of the way and makes you forget that someone actually wrote the thing. Murder Mile stuns your senses right from the start. You get thrown right in the thick of it with Brennan and it's a damn scary ride, but you know you're in good hands. Some of the characters undergo shocking experiences and they will make you reach out to your closest and give them a hug. It has balls, nasty characters and a lot of darkness, but most of all, it gives you just enough hope that will make you flick through it madly to find out what happens.
on 16 November 2015
A good story though not as good as the first Inspector Brennan. Being an inveterate tartan noir addict I believe that Fettes one of the primary locations was not at the time of publishing actually police station with cells desk sergeant etc.but a purely administrative headquarters. A more serious fault is padding; pages of introspection,and overdone description. The description of the final seconds of the cigarette dump were amazingly over the top. Was he being paid by the word or just a Dickens fan? Despite these niggles I was able to enjoy my read, with a bit of judicious skipping. Would have been a great book with some better editing.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2012
Tony Black's, Murder Mile is a compelling read, mainly due to it's superbly observant and instinctual protagonist, DI Rob Brennan. With his neat,concise prose, Tony Black captures the mundanity and desperation of ordinary life, under dramatic circumstances with fierce focus. When a teenage girl is found brutally slaughtered we see DI Brennan not only question the position of the perpetrator in society but his own as well, along with his relationship with his own daughter, who shares similarities with the victim. Tony Black has the ability to peel back the skin of his characters revealing with great insight their personal tribulations and reflections. It is in fact DI Brennan's humanity that threaten his destruction rather than the barbarity in which he is immersed. Black has created a tapestry of Scotland's granite heart and it's often marginalised occupant's in all shades of grey. A must read.
on 30 September 2012
What a great book, only my 2nd Tony Black and he's already right up there on my list of all time favourites. His protagonist Rob Brennan is a troubled soul, wracked with issues but driven to solve a gruesome case. However this doesn't detract from the plot as I've found with other authors. I tend to shy away from edinburgh based stories because Ian Rankin is another of my unputdownables however this book is so good and so different I forgot all about Rebus - Tony Black really is that good in my opinion.

As for the story it fairly rushed along, particularly the last 5 chapters or so. I really didn't want to finish it but found myself compelled to do so. Really good stuff. All the characters were well constructed, I struggle to find anything negative. Fortunately my local library has 2 more by Mr Black and I will be there next week pulling them off the shelves.