Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2006
Bought this book for my 7 year old daughter who had been asking questions about "Where do babies come from?" - and I didn't want to fob her off. This book tells children the biological truth to their question in a fun way with great illustrations and provokes some laughter in the process. If you don't want to lie to your children but don't want to frighten them either - this is a great book. Have recommended it to friends with children of the same age. Being truthful with your child at this age and on this subject in particular is so very important and means they can ask open questions without feeling that the subject is taboo or dirty in some way. Babette Cole's books are a joy and I highly recommend them
22 Comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 April 2006
I bought this for my 5 year old daughter who has been asking for more information than "Daddy gives Mummy a seed!" This book really helped me to answer her questions without me lying or getting embarrassed. She was really interested in the information but not put off or appalled by it! It is a non-threatening read and I'd thoroughly recommend it for this age group.
on 12 December 2003
My son is now 8, but we have had this book for a while. He loves it, it is funny, educational and entertaining all in one go. We have bought other books from the same author which are good but this is the best. FANTASTIC.
on 17 October 2003
A new baby on the way, a three-year-old asking the obvious questions, a daddy referring all said queries to mummy...Babette Cole to the rescue.
Other 'facts of life' fodder was way too in-depth for my daughter to cope with. However after several sessions of reading 'Mummy Laid an Egg' she suddenly piped up and said "Oh so it comes out of your bottom" and hasn't wanted to know any more since.
The pictures are hilarious, the text is concise yet still gives enough information for ages 3+ to digest and more importantly understand. A brilliant book either for answering those awkward questions a prospective sibling provokes or introducing the subject they'll all be fascinated with by puberty.
on 19 October 2008
When my daughter started asking why you needed a man and a woman to make a baby (after the cats had had their operation!), I knew the time was coming close to my explaining 'how babies are made'. When the subject came up again (for some bizarre reason in the middle of the X-Factor), I explained the basics, without going into unnecessary detail, but she still wanted to know how the man's seed got into the woman! I feel that it is important to be honest with children and give them truthful answers appropriate for their age group and this book does just that. I decided to buy this book from Amazon, but after having read a couple of negative reviews about it on this website, I wondered whether my memory was failing me as to its content, so I went into town and looked at all the books available. In my opinion this was by far the best. All the others went into far too much detail with complicated scientific diagrams and information which just isn't necessary for a six year old. This doesn't. I read it to my daughter and asked her if she had any further questions and she didn't really as it had just reinforced what I had said verbally with cartoon pictures. Neither of us were embarrassed and it was a great basis for further discussions when she is ready and older. As a teacher I have found that if you aren't honest about this subject with your children, they just get half truths from their friends and are too embarrassed to discuss it with their parents. The book starts with parents telling their children silly ways in which babies are made such as them growing in the garden etc. The children tell their parents that they are wrong and draw some basic cartoon pictures to explain the process clearly to their parents in an age appropriate manner.
on 22 January 2004
This is my childs favourite book. I think it could be mine as well!
I laugh at the illustrations of mummy & daddy fitting together on a skateboard whilst my son laughs at the idea that boy babies are made from slugs & snails & puppydogs tails!
Excellent-I've bought all my friends a copy for their children.
on 13 April 2000
This book is brilliant! Doctor Dog tells you how to keep clean and healthy in a funny way. It has excellelent illustrations,especially the one of Grandpa flying through the air on his toilet.On world book day I dressed up as the cover of this book because it's my favourite book, and my mum read it to my class and they thought it was cool. READ THIS BOOK IT'S GREAT!
on 13 August 2001
A hugely fun book for the kids - and one that the adults should enjoy too. Like all great books for kids, it works on many levels of humour - for young kids through to parents. I'm just having to buy another copy because my 4-year-old gave her copy to her best friend - and now wants it back !
on 7 December 2016
We were recommended this book from a parenting course I was attending. It really made me laugh. My kids loved it. My husband wasn't sure about buying it for our 6 and 8yr old. They were not phased at all and I think it is a great start to talking about sex and were babies come from.
on 18 March 2002
Bought this book in a hurry as we know and love the books by Babette Cole and thought it would be just another zany story like the others we have read. I did not expect it to be about the facts of life. My husband and I were intrigued and delighted by what we read and I was forced to telephone my sister to tell her to buy it immediately just so she could share in the humour of it. My two year old thoroughly enjoyed it and successfully identified 'willy' from the delightfully amusing illustrations. (She has a baby brother.) The point of the book is probably beyond most two year olds but buy it now to give yourselves a laugh and put it by for when they are three or so and asking about mummies and daddies bits - this book will be invaluable then.