• Mulan

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:£5.99

on 4 April 2005
When tomboy Mulan is presented to the local matchmaker as prospective bride her attempt to appear as a demure young lady is a dismal failure. Then an envoy arrives from the Emperor of China, the country is under attack from marauding Huns and every family is expected to send one man to fight in the army. Mulan doesn't want her frail father to have to go, so she steals his sword and armour, takes her horse Khan and goes in his place. The spirits of her ancestors send an somewhat undersized dragon Mushu(the voice of Eddie Murphy), to guard her. Mulan struggles through the army training, and eventually wins the respect of her comrades, and is finally triumphant in doing her bit to save China from doom.
This is an absolutely wonderful film, with spectacularly beautiful animation, great characters, a thrilling plot and a splendid score. Mulan is a very attractive heroine, brave and determined, and the supporting characters are all good too. Her parents (unusually for a Disney film, Mulan has a mother as well as a father), are portrayed very humanly and convincingly, and she has a feisty grandmother, who has one of the best lines in the film, when she claps eyes on gorgeous Captain Shang and says "Sign me up for the next war!". The heroine never loses your sympathy, I feel like cheering when, having been told to go home by Captain Shang because she's no use,she finally manages to climb to the top of the pole and throw down the arrow. And there is an almost unbearably dramatic moment when the Huns come sweeping down the snow-covered hill on the little company, and Mulan stops them with a brilliant piece of strategy. Sentimentality is kept to a minimum, this is a rousing tale of courage and triumph over adversity.
on 28 November 2000
Mulan the story of a chinese girl disguising herself as a man an out to save china. this comic story which has been adapted from a true story is full of wit romance and action. 3 important ingredients which makes it a must watch film. its not just for the young but i promise that the adults will be raving about this film after watching it once. Its definatly worth watching more than once!
on 9 September 2002
I'm 38 years old and have sat and watched this video at least a dozen times, each time I am totally engrossed. The film only has five songs, which for me is a plus, and I can sit through all of them without fast forwarding because they are so catchy. The story is compelling and moving, the jokes are funny and the scenery is the best I have ever seen in a Disney movie. I forced my partner to sit with me recently and watch the film in full. Normally a film is not enjoyable for him unless there are plenty of car chases and lots of shooting! After watching Mulan he, rather grudgingly, admitted it wasn't as bad as he had thought and I caught him humming a tune from the movie later! The next day he admitted that he might watch the film again - and that says a lot!! DO NOT MISS THIS MOVIE, I own it on Video and am now buying on DVD and I cannot recommend it enough!!!!
on 31 December 2014
Amazing Disney classic animation film. Wide screen edition, superb picture and sound. Extras are mainly ported over from previous dvd edition.

This is a region free Blu Ray so will play any where in the world.
on 8 December 2014
I'm reviewing the dvd "Mulan - Villains edition". I only bought this one to complete my old set. (just remove the Villains slipcover and you see the old style numbering on the side). I'm very happy with this dvd, thank you Amazon!
on 7 September 2013
My fave Disney movie, great for adults and kids alike. Very much a girl power orientated film and actually shy's away from a love story. Every song is powerful, the fact that it is based on fact too is interesting, love Mulan so much I used to wish I was Chinese when I was a kid (and still do) It will make you shed a few tears too, real feel good ending.
on 3 October 2013
I liked this when it first came out and still do now as an adult. It's nice to watch something based in a different world to your typical disney princesses, this is obviously set in ancient china and based on a girl who dresses up as a boy to join the army in place of her father, classic disney animation and looks great on bluray!
on 1 December 2000
Of all the great work produced by Disney, this has to be my favourite. Whereas most the previous films are clearly directed at a young audience, this one has just the right blend of 'twee' humour that disney is reknowned for as well as awesome set pieces and heart wrenching emotion - it appeals to everyone, young and old. Don't miss out on an amazing experience!
on 1 June 2005
Mulan is undoubtably my favourite of the Disney heroines. She is feisty kicking, witty, but at the same time, she's a loyal, sweet, confused little girl. My favourite part of the film is the song "Reflection" - sung beautifully by Lea Salonga.
It's a brilliant film, and I would recommend it to everyone: young and old, male and female.
on 7 February 2014
“You must be swift as a coursing river, with all the force of a great typhoon, with all the strength of a raging fire, mysterious as the dark side of the moon!!!” This is a most essential Disney. I love it.