Customer reviews

on 23 August 2017
Amusing but a little predictable. Equality perspective still has meaning today that can be perceived through the time difference of the story.
on 15 December 2011
What a GEM! I have been working my way through several titles from the 1800's and what a lovely find this was. This treasure contains wonderfully simple, charming, believable characters, adventurous, inoccent romping across sea...(and land in Mr Easy's case,)a wonderfully written storyline with quite charming wording that is simply lost in much of today's writings.

I would recommend this novel to everyone from teenage onward. (I was introduced to Hornblower by my dad as a teenager and I have a fondness for historical adventures.)

I am off to add the other Marryat eBooks to my kindle. If only the hard copies weren't so expensive and hard to come by. I would love to have these beautifully written novels on my shelves!

Enjoy this lovely read, it really is a 'book to curl up with'.
Hugs Veronica
on 28 February 2011
Well what a book, I have found it utterly beguiling. The story is as true to life as when it was written by Captain Marryat quite some time ago. Very readable follows the fortunes of young master Easy who believes in equality and behaves much as my Grandson. The story is a hoot and really merits five gold stars. Download and enjoy (guaranteed)
on 24 May 2011
A great adventure story, and also interesting from the point of view of naval and social history, this book is at times almost laugh out loud funny. Marryat is like the Dickens of the sea - hardly surprising really considering he was a contemporary and acquaintance of the great man himself. Thoroughly recommended.
on 12 February 2012
I first read this book over 40 years ago and came across it quite by chance again when doing fairly random searches for something to read on my new Kindle. It has stood the test of time, not only is it as much a rip roaring funny story as when it was written but it also proved as enjoyable to me in my fifties as it did in my pre-teen years.
on 7 May 2012
The first few chapters of this book are very strange .I downloaded the book not expecting much but thoroughly enjoyed the read after all. I know I have enjoyed a book when I reach the end and wish there was more ,and that was the case with this book.
on 4 December 2012
I downloaded this book to my Kindle Paperwhite expecting it to be in the vein of Hornblower or Bolitho but it was not at all like that.
I think that this book was written about 1836 & is in what I would imagine to be a Dickensian style & I absolutely love it.
I find myself laughing out loud at the wit & style of this book & would most definitely recommend it.
on 20 July 2017
Not Hornblower, but I expect CS Forester read this!
on 16 December 2011
This book has been my first read on the newly bought kindle.
Most enjoyable and with lots of small insight into early 19th century seafaring life.
Marryat's style has a kind of homespun feel to it,that gives it authenticity.
on 23 September 2016
Somehow thought this was a "Hornblower" type story and it is not. It is interesting and wr

Somehow thought this was a "Hornblower" type yarn, and it is not. It is a vivid and humorous account of a character, his upbringing and subsequent career, with an emphasis on social status, also his vivid experiences in the Royal Navy. The author wrote this book 180 years ago, and was in the literary circle of Charles Dickens. His works were much admired by many famous men including Hemingway and Twain, and his own career in the navy was eventful in the time of Napoleon. He resigned with the rank of post captain to take up full-time writing.