Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 March 2004
I have read a lot of books on filmmaking, but this would easily be my favourite. Each of the featured directors shares their particular technique and approach, and details problems they have encountered (and problems they see others commonly encounter - especially beginners). The book is highly digestable, and my only complaint is purely selfish: I wish there was more!! If you are interested in making films, buy this book without question.
on 22 February 2011
I read this book when I was 13, when I first decided I wanted to make films. The language was esoteric and it was hard for me to conceptualize what they were saying- but it's allure resonated with me for years to come.

I read it again when I was 15, once I'd made a few films of my own. I understood the technical language and related my own experiences to theirs.

I read it again when I was 18, looking for guidance from film makers I knew all too well after having the years to get acquainted with their films.

I'm now 21 and it's true what they say, directing is a very lonely job. So let this book keep you company over the years, as it did for me.
on 20 January 2003
This fascinating book is a compilation of conversations with some of the world's most prominent directors. For each director you learn of their approach to film making, to directing, to the audience, to the actors, providing you with insights into their world and their films. Accessible, diverting and indispensible for all those interested in films and film-making.
on 22 December 2010
amazing!amazing!amazing
cant put this book down..
if u r either a very experienced filmmaker,beginner or just interested in films, you gonna love this book..
dont expect step by step in how to dolly,track or crane..
This is kind of manuscript as if those great directors were giving a guest lecture in a film school..
Def worth every penny..
As someone already mentioned,my only complain is: I WANTED MORE DIRECTORS :(
on 18 May 2011
Excellent interviews filled with information, anecdotes and the very own words of some of the most interesting filmmakers in modern times.
on 25 July 2014
Could have been more interesting