on 19 May 2017
Superb finale to a great series of books. So well written. Michael Manning is one of the greats in fantasy writing. One of those few books that I can't wait to finish the book BUT I don't want to read it too fast because it will finish too soon!
on 4 October 2014
Fantasy fans will recognise elements of many popular fantasy stories woven into this book, but as often happens when you cherry pick the best bits, you end up with something unique. A good read that is thoroughly enjoyable.
on 20 October 2014
Brilliant book. I really enjoy Michaels style of writing. I have read all his books and they just get better.
on 8 May 2017
I have read Michael Manning's Thornbear and liked it so gave this a try - read cover to cover in a couple of days - excellent story-telling!
on 8 September 2014
One of the best books Michael G Manning has written. It deals with all aspects of human emotions and what it would be like to have all your own choices taken away from you and to only live at the beckoning of some else. I hope we don't have to wait for the next book in the series to come out. Back to the authors best. Perhaps there should be a 6 or seven star rating for this book deserves every one of those stars.
on 29 June 2014
I usually race through books (hey, I am retired, I have a lot of time on my hands) but not this one!

It is a dark fantasy and I needed to stop in order to give myself time to reflect and consider what I had read before moving on. It is a book that forces you to consider what it is to be human and what is essential to growth and development. It is a book that makes you think about the meaning of life.

It is about isolation, pain, sorrow and anger, about the need for love, family, hope and friendship. It is deep, meaningful and philosophical.

If you enjoy a book that makes you think, that trusts the reader to deal with complex, difficult issues then you will undoubtedly find this book rewarding.
on 6 July 2014
I could not stop reading from the moment I started. I've really enjoyed the Mageborn books and this is just as good.

The story has a very dark heart and Manning managed to tell a story containing a theme few could tell at all let alone tell it so that the reader is still able to engage with a lead character so flawed.

My only regret is that I now have to wait so long for book two of the Embers of Illeniel.
on 5 August 2014
Awesome !
Didn't want to read this as I had enjoyed the Mageborn so much, I thought it 're-telling what I New etc.
Manning produces a brilliant book in my view, the prologue tells of the dark side, but that was done so well it did not bother me.
Cannot wait till next year for the next instalment.
on 29 June 2014
absolutely amazing book, a lot darker than the previous ones and i have a feeling it will get darker still, but you can tell a story about madness and genocide with unicorns and bunnies! Can't wait until the next instalment!
on 4 October 2014
Hvae jusr finished it and it starts to explain some of the early mysteries of the recent trilogy. Can't wait for the rest of the story in the next book which will hopefully explain the rest of my questions and what happened to the She-har and humans.