Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.77

on 10 September 2014
The definitive source for all things Motown. A first class comprehensive volume, compiled by someone who loves the label. A 'one stop shop' for anyone with more than a passing interest in the iconic Motown label. The detail is impressive and the book is well researched- not only focusing on the major acts such as the Supremes and Temps but also providing info on obscure acts and personalities many of whom had but a fleeting association with the various Motown labels. The perfect companion to Terry Wilson's excellent book that catalogues all of the singles released on the Tamla Motown label in the UK and Joel Whitburn's Billboard Hot 100 volumes for the 60's and 70's. A superb book at a great price- I highly recommend it!
on 2 March 2015
I feel bad only giving this book only one star. What I've read of it is fascinating, so if you're a Motown fan the hard copy will be indespensable. However, the Kindle edition is useless. There is no contents with links to chapters which, presumably, would have been each letter of the alphabet. If you want to find, for instance, James Jamerson, you will have to reach J page by page - who, unless literally Motown mad, would want to do that. I've just wasted a fiver. I am sick and tired of Amazon's ignorant, pathetic, couldn't care less attitude to the words and music they sell.
on 23 August 2014
This is a different approach for reading to me. I read lots of biographies and autobiographies, but this is different. Instead of reading from cover to cover, the approach here is to look up a topic or artist you might be interested in. I agree with Sharon Davis who says this book is great. And it is.
on 13 September 2014
If you think you know all there is to known about Motown .. think again after thumbing through this MOTOWN ENCYCLOPEDIA 585 pages by Graham Betts there are things there that I didn't know, things I had forgotten about, and things that now make sense. Got to say its a must for anyone into there soul music and if you know someone like that. Think on it would make a great gift for them. Well done Graham it will be a reference book for many a year to come. Mark West www.salfordcityradio.org.
on 9 August 2014
If you like soul music then this is a really good read. I've found loads of stuff about some lesser known artists at Motown. Always nice to read something different related to Motown/Soul/Northern.
on 24 June 2015
Recieved this great book as a Father's Day present after it has been sitting in my Amazon wants list file for months If only I knew I would have bought it ages ago. Yeh Motown was first and foremost a singles Record Company but they did issue a large amount of albums compared to many of the other independent record labels of the time. Having collected Motown albums now for over 25 years and taken my collection into the early nineties I found that there was many albums released that I didn't have a clue about. This book has blown that all wide open as over 98% of the albums artists are covered and at the bottom of the artists entry it's their albums that are listed instead of their singles in most cases. Sure the key singles in the Motown history have an entry and even key moments ie the "Motown Revues" and the "Hall of Fame" inductees. To any Motown Album collector out there this book is a must it's gone well and beyond from the last great book for us album collectors "Heatwave" by David Branco from the mid eighties.......... Thanks guys I'm loving my present
on 4 June 2014
Brilliant book with detailed and fascinating facts about arguably one of the most influential U.S musical periods. Love the cover design too! Looks great on my coffee table!! Definitely recommend to the casual Motown listener and super fans alike!
on 4 June 2014
I've read a fair few books on Motown in my time but this is without doubt the most comprehensive, detailed and intelligible Motown book I've ever read, absolutely fascinating!
on 5 June 2014
Why is there no photograph of the Supremes in the montage on the front cover? They were Motown's biggest group in the 1960s and arguably the source of much of the money that enabled BG to build Motown into the force it became. That aside, there's a lot of detailed information that even an aficionado like me has never read before in over 50 years of Motown appreciation. Well done.
on 4 June 2014
A must for any Motown fan. A concise and fantastically put together book. Nice to discover lots of new facts too. Loved it!