on 31 May 2012
My needs are somewhat different than th normal use of PMR radios.
My wife is disabled and I needed a way that she could contact me whether I was in the house (very thick walls), in the garden, shed or at the neighbours. Looking at standard disabled communications products left a lot to be desired so I took a punt at getting the Motorola system.
The performance has exceeded expectations with regard to quality of speech and the ability to penetrate very thick walls.
Operationally these are very simple to use and simply require charging and you are ready to go.
The clips mean that I can carry one with me wherever I go and my wife is able to contact me whenever (and wherever locally) I am needed.
Straight line distance is impressive, however we live in a valley and I have tested the system to over a mile with two hills between.

The aesthetic design is pleasing to the eye and fits the hand very well. Controls are easy to access and the menu is intuitive.
on 23 June 2011
Having used cheaper walkie talkies before, we were impressed at how good these were over distance without line of sight.
Easy to use, simple menu system .... great for general use.
Note I've not tried this in mountainous areas - they were purchased more for keeping in contact with the kids or friends when they wonder off.
on 19 August 2012
I recently tested these walkie talkies on a three day camping trip in the Lake District and I was very satisfied.
They are small enough to fit in a pocket, very simple to use and did exactly the job I wanted them to. There are some more advanced functions tucked away in a menu which give you a few more options but I'll probably never use them.
Although I didn't do a range test they were working fine when the GPS showed the radios were 1.2 miles apart.
I was happy the radios came with a pretty sturdy looking double charging unit but I haven't used it yet because after three days of fairly substantial use, both radios are still showing full battery!
Excellent buy, I would certainly recommend them for leisure use.
on 11 February 2013
As always brilliant delivery. These radios are a big step above the cheaper models available, several sets of which I have bought previously. They are certainly an excellent communication tool. I use them in the hilly countryside of Devon for communication between members of game shoots. I have used them successfully all this winter and they have been in use every week from October to February.
on 22 November 2011
If you value good tactile quality and high build standards with a competent radio that is fine for line of site comms get these. Dont expect cell phone coverage, these are line of site radios, in the real world about 1-3 miles range.
on 17 April 2012
This radio works perfectly well. I have used them when skiing and it has always been perfectly able to work at any distance.
I also use it as a "baby phone", and if it's very convenience when you are not close from the baby room (like in the garden, or through several walls), it';s not as efficient as a baby phone for detecting every single noise.
on 25 May 2012
Well packaged and easy to put together. Instructions are clear and easy to follow so you are up and running very quickly. Handsets very well made, buttons feel positive, display nice and clear. Battery life seems good although batteries are still new so may fade as they get older. Sound very clear but only using them over a distance of 1.5km. Very pleased with purchase!
on 12 April 2012
We are really pleased with the product. Good reception, long battery life, and easy to carry around. They probably have a lot more functionality than we have yet worked out! Looking forward to using them on the ski slopes.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 September 2013
These walkie talkies appear to be quite solidly constructed although I note they are sometimes wrongly described as shockproof and waterproof when in fact this model is most definitely not - you need to buy one of the more expensive Motorola models for that. These radios are simple to operate and offer a decent range of options - plenty of channels to choose from, an intuitive menu system, a backlit display, pocketable yet solid construction, an accessory connection for things like headsets/in-ear wires. There is even a decent and undesratandable manual. I also like the fact that it comes with a rechargeable battery set but that you can also use standard batteries in the radios if this rechargeable battery in time becomes dead, as they often do eventually. The range is exaggerated though - 8km is very optimistic - perhaps if you are hiking with nothing blocking line of sight, then this may just be achievable on newly recharged batteries. Used in a built up city or town environment the range is drastically reduced, but of course this happens with ALL of these weak consumer walkie talkies - it's only the more powerful commercial ones that you need a licence for, that have a decent range on them. An example, with my wife holding one unit in the kitchen of our home, in a built-up urban area, and me in my car, the effective range on a full charge was about 0.25 miles at best. Go outdoors and it will be increased of course, but any built up areas will bounce the signal around and lower both receptionj clarity and range drastically. I have read glowing reviews of this model from skiers who take the radios to the piste and have achieved good range there. Paintabllers also rave about these units, as do skirmishers etc. I think this model is overkill as a gift for kids to play with - it's also worth reading the radiation warnings in the manual before you rhink about handing over a PMR walkie talkie to kids as a plaything. When within range these radios are clear and work well, and they also have a monitor feature where you can use them like a baby monitor. Another nice feature is channel scan, where the radio will scan all available channels and lock on to a broadcast if it finds one - at that point you can press the talk button and your handset will immediately switch to that channel for you - neat ! So, decent features, quite well made, but range, well, the stated 8km is in absolute ideal conditions - in the countryside with no built up areas or hills/mountains blocking the signal. If you do use the units for hiking keep them dry because they are not rainproof !
on 21 November 2013
After several months' use I have noticed variable results with regards distance: with a small hill in-between two users I have had as little as half a mile; in the dales with no obstacles, 4 miles. Well made & easy to use. The 'page' function is very useful: press the button and the other handset will sound a beep to get the attention of the other user or let them know you're about to speak; also useful in finding a hand-set if dropped on a walk or in the dark.