Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now pd pd Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Learn more Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

Customer reviews

on 22 April 2015
This book picks up almost exactly where the previous one in the serious finishes. A man who is virtually out of his mind in grief vows to find and kill the person who created that grief, and is careless enough to repeat it in company he had no business being in, let alone saying those sort of things to. This creates a whole lot of trouble for the man, and draws several other people into all kinds of problems.

This book explores the psychological issues faced by those involved in a fatal incident, even those who are used to dealing with violent death, but not in any clinical manner. It affects different people in differing ways, for some it is coming to terms with the loss of a loved one and with guilt and their inability to keep them safe. For others there is simply the feeling of failure, and yet others are afraid of the consequences of their actions which led directly or indirectly to the outcome. Those who feel guilty seek to take actions to rectify their shortcomings whilst those who should feel guilty seek to justify their actions and shift the blame onto other shoulders. Throw an ambitious and unscrupulous woman into the mix and we have a cracking storyline. That isn't enough of a mix for this author however, we have a few criminals left desperate by the failure of their last venture, forced together by circumstance but unable to trust each other. The numbers gradually diminish as the story progresses and we are ultimately left with the most desperate of them, but there is a stranger looking for two people and you just know that when he finds them it isn't going to be a social occasion. The tension is built gradually through several different scenarios, we don't stay at any one scene for too long. For me that really was not a problem as I found that it worked well to slip from a potentially dangerous situation to an entirely different one, and then when we came back to the first situation it packed more of a punch because it was a sudden reminder of the nature of the peril.

Roger Conniston is something of a superhero - as he is recovering from a serious knee injury (incredibly painful) he takes on a whole new investigation, he gets himself into, and out of, impossible situations. He has to walk into a situation where he knows that in the normal course of events, he cannot come out of it alive, but to refuse to do so will cause another death. He has to fight his way out of more situations than a man in his condition (or any condition) really should. When he faces his nemesis, he finds reserves of courage and strength he obviously didn't know he had. Although part of your head is telling you that Roger is the protagonist and therefore he HAS to survive, part of you is constantly wondering how he can. I can't help but feel sorry for Roger, whatever his failings, he really doesn't deserve the rubbish life has thrown at him. He just wants to get on and do his job, he's not desperately ambitious, he doesn't normally go looking for trouble but it certainly seems to come looking for him and in this book, one of his troubles bears a very familiar name.

Although the scene of crime work isn't quite as prominent in this book as it was in the previous ones, it is still the framework on which the story hangs, and the author neatly points up the differences between good and bad SOCO work without lecturing or giving a Forensics 101. I liked the detail given in this regard, and particularly at a gruesome scene where someone has gone to great trouble to hinder proper identification of the body, not only detailing the difference between a fastidious approach to crime scene management and a desire to make a hasty job of it and then try to make the evidence fit the theory, but then showing how this affected relationships in the team.

This is another well presented story with many facets, which will in turn repel (because of the thoroughly reprehensible characters involved) and enthrall but will never bore the reader.
on 25 September 2016
This is the last book in a trilogy and probably would not be a very satisfying read if you had not read books 1 & 2. Fortunately I have read all 3 and in this review, I really have to treat it as the third part, rather than a standalone story.

Things for poor Roger just go from bad to worse but thankfully he has faithful old Shelby to rely on. It seems that most of the Force are corrupt, save for one or two SOCOs and dear old Shelby, what a bad bunch. New character Liz is a real piece of work! I cannot believe, however, that Andrew Barrett let Chamberpot off without dishing up his just desserts.

This book was not as exciting as books 1 & 2, but then again, I think it will be a long time before I read another story with the pace and momentum of Stealing Elgar. I have loved this Trilogy and will miss Roger, Shelby et al. I wish that I hadn't already read Andrew Barrett's Eddie Collins trilogy as I don't know quite how to follow this. Maybe I just need a sabbatical from reading until Andrew Barrett publishes his next book, so I hope he is busy writing!
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 18 June 2017
The final part of the trilogy and you would be well advised to read it as such and not as a standalone. This didn't grab me in quite the same way as the previous two but maybe that was me starting the letting go process. It does its job in tidying up the loose ends and it's good to see some, although not all, characters get what they deserve.
on 10 February 2013
No More Tears is the finale in Andrew Barrett's "Dead Trilogy" following on from A Long Time Dead and Stealing Elgar. You do need to have read the previous books as they folow on from each other. As a whole they add up to over a thousand pages which is a chunky story indeed.

Taken individually, I think I like this one best. This one is more about revenge and retribution. It's hard to write about this one without giving anything away about the previous 2, but suffice to say, Roger is in another pickle and has to cope with what's thrown at him.

I mentioned in reviews for the previous books about my not really liking Roger as a person, but I think I've grown to like him more. This story is about friendships and I liked that.

Now I have to start on his Third Rule series, yay :)
4 people found this helpful
on 14 May 2018
Third and last book in this series and for me it was the best. Roger Conniston's wife died in an explosion and he is desperate to track down the villains still alive. He has the help of Shelby, a detective. Their search leads them into danger which eventually affects Shelby's wife too. Will they get out alive? A fast action, page turner thriller which will keep you on the edge of your seat.
on 10 March 2017
I have just finished the trilogy “Long time dead” “Stealing Edgar” and “No more tears” I read them consecutively and I have seldom read such an exciting and fast paced trilogy. I'll leave others to fill you in on the plot's.
The characters were believable and very human. I found it difficult to put these books down, so be warned, they are so well written and pacey that you will be burning the midnight oil as I have done.
The books are all quite long, not a bad thing, but packed with excitement!
Well Done Andrew Barrett! I’ll be reading more of your books soon.
on 1 March 2017
Just finished the third book in the series, feel as if I have been on a roller coaster, first book set the stage ,sitting comfy in seat learning a lot about soco second book has you holding the edge of my seat leaves you wanting more,then third book
brings it all together .safely return to station ..which of Andrew Barrett s books should I read next ?
on 21 February 2017
So this was the third and final instalment, I found it as well written as the first two but for me it was not as enjoyable. That said there were some good characters introduced, a twist here and there, and some people I thought would reappear were never mentioned again.

I would have preferred if the book stuck more to the factual side of how SOCO's work helps to solve crimes but will not put me off reading the authors new work featuring Eddie Collins.
on 12 October 2016
Although I enjoyed this book, as I did the previous two in this trilogy, I kept feeling that a lot of the book was integrated too much in words with the previous one.
This, however, did not take too much from this story but what Shelby and Roger and Lucy had to go through was indeed a terrible ordeal. Very graphic and realistic. Hopefully, no more tears for Roger.
on 15 January 2017
I didn't want this book to end, being the third of the trilogy. I absolutely love the author's style of writing and especially loved the relationship between Roger and Shelby. I would implore anyone to read these books. I would call them edge of seat reads. It kept me guessing until the end. I'm going to hunt down some more of Andrew Barrett books right now and I can't wait to get stuck in. I hope there are more Roger Coniston stories because I think I'm a bit in love with him!
|11 Comment|Report abuse