on 7 November 2012
Mine wasn't a hard cover, whatever it said. I have sent several of these to friends and the prices were really low for such a wonderful book. I also have her double CD. I have experienced lots of problems for 40 years and this book was suggested in the past. Why didn't I read it then, you might ask? Fear, arrogance, lack of education, but mostly because of the title. I come from an era when someone who 'suffered' or 'had' nerves was a strange rather weak creature who jumped when the wind blew, and was a person we all had to pity and cater to. More fool me, for now that I have more understanding of the title (the general public still does not though) I can not only read the book knowing that it applies to me and to many others who did not consider they 'suffered' from 'nerves' and know that at least now I can benefit and really enjoy her straighforward and supportive words. She never criticises or tells you you are mad, because of course we are not, nor does she suggest that you can't change things starting 'now'. This book is as relevant today as it was when she wrote it. In addition if you use the CD's to back up your reading or just use them alone you will soon begin to feel that things can change and all of it is within your power. In the CD's she walks along with you when you consider you cannot leave the house and she stands holding your hand when you are convinced you are going to have a panic attack or go mad. She masterfully demands that you 'let it pass' 'let it pass' and you begin to trust - first her, then yourself and then the process. Get it, read it, save for the CD if you can't initially afford the £13 odd. Throw away all the other CD's, books, websites and huge amount of self-help you have on your bookshelf or take them to MIND or sell them on Ebay and get on with your life with the help of Claire Weekes.
on 9 July 2017
I have spent years reading about anxiety and using different practices to come to terms with anxiety symptoms. Only now I have come across Dr Weeks through Youtube and then bought her book which I find very special.
Dr Claire Weeks gives me real hope. She truly believes in curing anxiety for good if one is willing to follow her advice and stick with it even if it is going to take time. She explains how set backs are part of the healing process and this is important for anxiety sufferers to know. I am following her advice about 'facing' ' accepting ' 'relaxing the body' and feel it is working already. She has a compassionate style that really works. Why aren't her books better known!!!
on 6 January 2010
i had this book years ago & loaned it out but didn't get it back. it saved me many years ago when it seemed to jump off the shelf in a bookshop. it was just what i needed at the time. i have loaned it out many times & others have found it helpful too.
in one case a colleagues wife had been off work for ages & was convinced she had cancer. i offered this book to her & she was back at work in a few weeks. she felt the book described exactly how she had been feeling. this is comforting when you think you are going mad & lets you know that you are definately not (going mad) & that you are not alone in how you feel!
on 15 December 2015
This book is an easy read when you're troubled with your nerves and gives sound advice that is easy to follow. It was the most useful 'tool' I had when I had a breakdown and I can unreservedly recommend it.
on 12 January 2014
I'm a great admirer of Dr Weekes having studied her methods as a student. I would recommend her work to anyone experiencing panic attacks or emotional difficulties . Her audio advice on 'going on holidays' is brilliant for anyone who starts getting wobbly before going away.
on 19 September 2014
Invaluable book for those who suffer from nerves, anxiety etc. I believe the author is something of a pioneer in her field and it shows. I was helped enormously whilst going through a particularly bad case of stress induced anxiety.
on 17 November 2015
this book is easy to understand and demystifies anxiety for the layman. much better for me personally than trawling through CBT workbooks and diaries, I feel this book was ahead of its time, suggesting that the sufferer practice what is now called mindfulness and acceptance - the neurological process and physical effects of anxiety remain the same so if you ignore the views on medication and culture which are of their time, the rest of the book is a great help indeed, rather like being talked to by a wise, comforting mentor is who understands what the condition is like for you. Recommended. (I am a counsellor). I read this before the previous book and liked it the most but they are both excellent. I now understand how attempting to avoid or control the unpleasant, frightening sensations are not the road to a 'cure'. Having studied the (much later) Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) I find that many of those principles are incorporated in this self-help approach.
on 15 May 2015
I can't believe this book is so cheap: it offers priceless help. Claire Weekes understands every horrible nuance of anxiety (far more than other writers, who generalise and patronise) and tells you how to get through it. Her work helped me to recover. It's gloriously old fashioned and her writing style will make you smile. So much the better!
on 25 November 2010
fab book, anyone who suffers with their 'nerves', stress etc will find this book invaluable, this woman really understands the problems and helps you deal with them - I would not suggest however that you read it from front to back, but look in the index for what is troubling you and only read that section, when you are suffering with 'nerves' you don't want to read about things that you are not feeling, because I find this to be auto suggestive - I live with this book and it helps me in 'down' moments, just a quick read of the relevant paragraph gets me going again - this copy I purchased for a friend............
on 1 April 2013
Bought second hand hardcover.Very easy reading.If you have ever suffered with your "nerves"
you will recognise yourself in this book.Just reading it will make you feel better.