Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Alice Cooper Learn more Fitbit

A yellow diamond with a curse on it; a young girl trying to choose between two suitors; one of the first detectives in fiction and more twists and turns in the plot than you can shake a stick at not to speak of a huge cast of characters and multiple narrators and you have a fascinating story of theft and murder.

I was surprised how modern this book still is even though it was published over a hundred years ago. I was especially struck by the conversations between Rachel Verrinder and Franklin Blake – her on/off fiancé. I thought the author caught the different voices of his narrators very well indeed and I was never in any doubt who was narrating the story. This is well worth reading even today and it puts some modern crime novelists in the shade.
on 30 March 2015
Recommended to me by a friend as essential reading after I'd enjoyed "The Suspicions of Mr Whicher" by Kate Summerscale, as one of the blueprints for the detective fiction genre. I found "The Moonstone" to be a real page-turner - a cast of very engaging characters, not all of whom are particularly likeable (step forward the wonderfully awful Miss Clack); a clever plot with cliffhangers a-plenty; and a satisfactory dénouement.

I particularly enjoyed the style of using several different narrators throughout the book to add different viewpoints of the same event, thereby gradually revealing the story and adding twists where previous narrators have omitted key information to suit their own ends. This technique can have the tendency to be clumsy and repetitive, but it was very effective in this novel.

There's also quite a refreshing portrayal of the female characters in this story for the period in which is was written (1860s) - whilst there are some stereotypical Victorian gender roles presented in the views of some of the male characters and the aforementioned Miss Clack, these are often presented in a satirical way so that the reader is invited to laugh at these strict views. The female protagonists on the other hand are mostly presented by the author as strong, assertive characters in their own right, their actions having a pivotal role in the story.

A thoroughly enjoyable read.
on 24 May 2017
I enjoyed reading The Moonstone, it's a classic read with familiar themes. There's a mystery and foul play. There's investigation and romance. By far one of the best reads from the time and deserves to be included in all the Best Of lists that it is cited in.

If you enjoy a classic novel and are not daunted or put off by the classical use of the English language then this might be to your taste.
on 13 May 2017
Read for my book group this book surprised me. It's characters narrating different sections kept me fascinated from the start and the fascination grew throughout. It would make a fantastic TV drama in the style of Sherlock Holmes and at times was just as challenging to follow. A very satisfactory read.
on 25 August 2015
Only half way through this classic novel as I write this, but find it charming and absorbing, wonderfully written, as Collins employs a familiar, engaging style with the reader. Looking forward to the mystery unravelling too
on 17 June 2017
I am still ploughing through it. It is not my kind of book but I would recommend
it to those who like classical literature. I prefer more modern stuff but am reading it for a reading group. Summed up in one word- tedious!
on 12 May 2017
Found it difficult to read. Too long winded so story got lost
on 28 July 2017
I didn't enjoy this book, the woman in white is much better in my opinion
on 25 July 2017
A classic...well worth reading.
on 9 March 2017