VINE VOICEon 23 January 2015
I've always felt sorry for those who are unable to appreciate Pythonesque humour. They say it's so silly and even childish; but that's why I like it so much. It's so true to how life actually is and, above all, it teaches us how to laugh at ourselves as it exposes the crankery within ostensibly serious beliefs. Monty Python came around at just about the right time and one wonders if they could get away with it in these days of increased religious sensitivity. I always think that what Monty Python is telling us is that, if it's not worth laughing at, it's not worth anything. For those of us who believe in some kind of deity, and many of us don't, then surely such a deity would have a sense of humour and be able to laugh at him/her/itself? What I do know is that, if everything were to be Monty Pythonised it would spell the end of strife and religious bigotry.

Yes, it is all very silly like when grown men pretend to ride horses, which are not there; but I used to do that. It was more fun than playing with a computer. Monty Python is all about us doing what we really like to do and behaving as we truly want to and not allowing ourselves to be stereotyped into into behaving after certain styles and fashions. It takes the mickey out of pomposity and teaches us to laugh at ourselves. And, of course, the Monty Python team made a lot of money out of doing just that, which is a reminder of how much money is made out of many people by fooling them into smoking, drinking, gambling, drug taking and wasting money by taking holidays in all the wrong places. This is all daft and made worse by religious daftery. (Is that a word?) Python teaches us to laugh at ourselves and realise how silly everything really is. If we all did that there wouldn't be any more wars or religious bigotry. Stars? Of course it's worth five stars, although 'The Life of Brian' is worth five even brighter stars.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 October 2017
This has always been a marvellous film. It was a real delight to be able to watch such a pristine version, the detail revealing even more of its bonkers logic and poised mangling of medieval tales. Worryingly, this film played a role in my development into early adulthood, though I have to report having only flung livestock at people on a very limited number of occasions.
What a shame, then, that the blu-ray advertises, in its ‘Special Features’ section, the acquisition of an accompanying iPad app, which, while still available at, currently, a cost of £3.99 doesn’t any longer link to the blu-ray, which seems to be the main point. In trying to obtain a refund, I was directed (only) to the app’s originators’ site, which just baldly states that this all-important feature is just ‘no longer available.’ I’m sure there are those who might still find the other features of the app to be jolly good fun, but these don’t seem to be the selling points. Please be warned.
Do enjoy the film, though, but remember that 5 is right out.
on 22 March 2017
I bought this to replace a copy that 'walked' when one of my kids left home. It's just as much fun and just as silly as I remembered. The subtitles worked a treat. Next time I watch it I'm going to use the alternative subtitles for people who don't like the film - apparently they are from Shakespeare'sHenry IV part II. I also am looking forward to all the features on disc 2, particularly How To Use Your Coconuts and Monty Python and the Holy Grail in Lego. This is better than the copy I lost and great value for money!
on 17 November 2015
I don't think it's even relevant to rate the movie, it's Monty Python and the Holy Grail. You either like it or not, and if you've never seen it then shame on you.
As for this version, it is a great addition to any Python collection. The castle with the catapult was a great touch in true Pythonesque fashion.
The bonus content of the Blu-Ray is great, I highly recommend the Tribeca Film Festival interview with John Oliver.

As for the Blu-Ray "upgrade" itself, I've seen a lot of complaints here about the quality. I'm not an expert in these matter I'll be honest, but it looked very good to me. I definitely recommend it.
on 15 December 2013
In my opinion (and surely many others ) this is the funniest movie/film ever made.
If you have not seen it, what have you been doing in your life ?
I have seen the documentaries about The holy grail and there was argument, trouble ,budgetproblems and Graham Chapman was drunk every day and so on...
But from this emerged the greatest Comedy ever made with so many Classic scenes so I would be foolish just to mention some.
``None shall pass``, ``We are no longer the Knights who say ni``,`` Bring out your dead``, ``Good idea oh Lord`` to mention a few.
(Oh no I was foolish !)
And now it has arrived on Blu-Ray with English subtitles and a whole a lot of extra material.
I am in movie/film heaven.
on 11 May 2012
Monty Python and the Holy Grail is my favorite Python film. I love the silly and surreal jokes. I love the characters, the dialog and the great performances by the talented cast. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a comedy you either love or hate. That's the main problem of the comedy in general. But if you like surreal, silly scenarios, you will like this one.

Extra Features: 2 commentary tracks - by directors Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones and other one by writers and cast members John Cleese, Eric Idle and Michael Palin. There are also 3 sing-alongs, 50 min long feature The Quest for the Holy Grail Locations!, sketch How to use coconuts, Monty Python and the Holy Grail in Lego, 18 minute long location report "On Location with the Pythons", interactive cast directory, original sketches and posters, behind the scenes photos, unused ideas(something like storyboards) and 2 trailers. In other words - loaded with extra content. This is a very good DVD for Python fans and newcomers alike.
on 11 September 2017
Quite simply one of the funniest movies ever. The special package is brilliant. If you don't find this hilarious, you're dead from the neck up.
on 28 October 2010
For me the best Python film by a mile. I saw it in the seventies when it was first released and I can still remember the entire cinema being in hysterics. Not the "I'd better laugh at this bit because it looks as if it should be funny", but absolutely gut busting with tears streaming down faces laughter. I could not hear most of the Black Knight scene because of the level of noise and it remains to this day one of the best clips from any film. But for me, my all time favourite has to be the dumb guards where Palin plays the exasperated Lord trying to get Idle and Chapman to understand the simplest of instructions and failing miserably.
|0Comment|Report abuse
Not having seen this movie for some years, I'd forgotten exactly how delightfully crackers it is. Made on a shoestring, the cast have a host of barmy improvisations (scripted though they may be), such as the brilliant `invisible horses', the clearly ruined castles, and the frequent animated inserts. Whether you adore the `Knights who say "ni"', love the cowardly Sir Robin and his abusive minstrel, or mostly remember the deadly throat-tearing rabbit, there's pretty much something `zany' for everyone here, despite some pretty obvious dating. Great stuff.
on 13 December 2003
Where to begin to describe possibly the funniest film ever made??
This is easily the best film produced by the comedy genius that is the Pythons and will have you rolling around in tears even the fiftieth time you see it!!
Add to that this is not just a film, it's a great conversation piece; surely everyone is able to produce at least one quote from this film and this provides endless small talk at parties!
Who could forget such classic moments as the Knights who say Ni! and their infamous shrubbery gathering and tree chopping tasks....the killer rabbit with 'big nasty teeth'....the black knights' mauling at the hands of King Arthur 'come back I'll bite your legs off!'.....I could go on forever, there really are countless amusing moments in this film and the quotes and humour are timeless.
I only have one really really really small gripe about the film and that was that I didn't really like the way that it ended, but I won't reveal what happens for those that haven't seen it yet (WHAT! You haven't seen it yet! Rush out and get it NOW!)