Customer reviews

on 29 March 2007
This is the first Lonely Planet city guide I have bought and I am very impressed with it. It gives a detailed insight into life and general culture in Montreal, and informs you of relevent and interesting history without boring you. The chapters of shopping, sights, eating etc. are easy to navigate as they are divided into areas. This is better than the Time Out guides as it gives only a brief paragraph to describe an area and focuses on the attractions themselves. Time Out tends to use long essays which can be difficult to find what you are looking for. The only thing that I would say could be improved about this book is the introduction of pictures; aside from some generic shots at the front there are literally one or maybe 2 pictures in the book, and these are in black and white. I look forward to using this book when I visit Canada in the summer.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 January 2008
A wedding in Tronno (aka Toronto), and I've been to Tronno before, so is there anything new to do close by? I know, I've seen films where the backdrop has been Montreal, and everyone says how cool it is. Let's see how cool Lonely Planet thinks it is.

Well, surprise, surprise. LP is totally convinced it's sooooo cool! So much so that I'm almost sick on the saccharine. It is, in short, over the top by a long way when you read the Intro.

But then we get into the detail. Or rather we don't. We skip over four centuries of history in as many pages - not like LP at all - and then get lost in a list of buildings, most of which seem to be churches. It seems there are a number of museums and art galleries, too, but the litany of churches is much too important to give much information about boring old art.

There are some asides about the culture - you know, the French stuff, and there's some British, Irish and Italian culture too, and there's a jazz festival, a jazz festival and a jazz festival (don't get me wrong, I love jazz, but the inconsiderate betrothed couple have made their wedding date too late in the season for this to be relevant).

I want to know more about the open spaces - the parks, the hinterland - but about all I can get is that there are some parks and there's some wildlife in them. The word "birds" doesn't appear in the index, so I write that off as a source.

It is, in short, not that inspiring. Maybe I'll just go to Tronno again after all.