on 1 June 2017
ok
on 9 May 2013
Another brilliant boys own type adventure from an author I only recently discovered, but will be watching in future.

Briefly, people are disappearing from the streets of Boston in the late 1800's, and our hero, called only "Smith" has taken it upon himself to find out who's responsible and to save the day. Very "Doctor Who" in his mysterious style (he even his a pretty and plucky companion), Smith sets about his investigation bravely, making a few dangerous enemies along the way - will he be able to find and defeat the Monster in the Mist? Read it and find out for yourself - you'll be glad you did!
on 24 June 2012
I get what Andrew Mayne is trying to do in The Monster in the Mist. I like what he's trying to do, but the end result doesn't deserve the praise it's been getting. It has hardly any ideas, and is not well written. Errors include "shoot" for "chute", "lot's" for "lots", and "whomever" used as a subject pronoun. We get vivid descriptions of the Boston fog in the opening chapters (you can hear but not see the carriage passing by right next to you), but when our heroes step out into it, Smith proceeds to point things out across the street.

There's a "comedy" misunderstanding sequence based around "thespian" sounding a bit like "lesbian" which reads as if it was written by a schoolkid.

If anyone addresses the hero as Mr Smith, he'll say, "No, it's just Smith." This cringe-inducing routine is why editors - or honest friends - are so necessary; it's a pathetic "character quirk" that needs ditching. Meanwhile, his antagonist comes across as a pretty ineffectual villain.

Strangely, the police and the public are well aware of the existence of the titular monster, so it's a wonder why they need to wait for a mysterious stranger to investigate it. Once Smith knows what he's up against, it's a slow plod to the end - like a dull description of someone playing Quake, the prose is flat and there are no plot twists or surprises along the way. I also wondered if the author has ever attended a Health and Safety lecture - or does he sit in his bath repairing live electrical equipment?

I have given two stars rather than one because I enjoyed the account of the original discovery of the monster, and because Smith is suitably mysterious. Whereas his Doctor Who origins are impossible to miss (his initial arrival is like a slightly-edited description of the TARDIS materialising), he's NOT the Doctor, and I'm tempted to read The Martian Emperor (much better title!) to find out what makes him tick.
on 21 April 2012
A very entertaining book!

To be honest, I purchased it as a friend had recommended the author and because of the price. I am glad I bought it and I can say it was a pleasant surprise.

An unexpected purchase, and don't mean to disrespect, of which I didn't expect much from. In return, it entertained me for a few hours and through a couple of train journeys. I can confidently say that I will be getting the next episode and will be looking at the author's other titles.

An incredibly reasonable price for an entertaining tale!
on 6 January 2013
He has a fabulous imagination with the mix of sci-fi, mystery and thriller all wrapped bumping one book. This is the second book of his I have read and would thoroughly recommend his books to anyone.
on 5 March 2015
A wonderful adventure serial that could easily have seemed a second rate Doctor Who or a half baked Sherlock Holmes, but is instead a delightful and very readable story with original characters and a sparkling central concept.
on 30 December 2013
A compelling story, but the details are a little thin. The whole thing felt quite sketchy, more like the outline of a novel or a movie than a finished work. I would classify this more as a teen book than one aimed at adults.
on 8 November 2012
Starts out straight enough, then gets slightly odd with a real feel of doctor who about the whole book, but very good read none the less.
on 21 December 2012
Loved it. Nice idea, shame it's not set in Victoria's England. Find it hard to relate to the streets of America. Great easy read.
on 6 January 2013
This story really surprised me it is very interesting and the story line is just brilliant! Andrew Mayne fails to disappoint!