on 3 November 2014
I'm afraid I found this book disappointing. There are quite a lot of reviews saying how good it is. It is well written, in an approachable style, but it's really aimed at someone who has never done any serious black and white photography, but uses Photoshop! There are 50 pages on "Learning to see in black and white", 30 pages on basic digital techniques like using a histogram and RAW vs JPEG and the rest assumes that you use Photoshop. Since I am an experienced photographer, using digital and film for many years, and use Lightroom, and have just got Nik HDR Efex Pro, it's of limited value. The pages on Nik HDR Efex Pro are pretty well what you'd get from the help files in that package. I've given it 3 stars as it did have some good pictures which show examples of monochrome HDR, for a variety of subjects.
Lesson: remember to look carefully at the contents pages.
on 3 November 2013
This is the third book by Harold Davis that I've bought in the past three months. I had learned lots from the first two, and wondered if in fact he'd have much to say that was new. Well, I needn't have worried!

The first book I bought by Harold Davis was on flower photography, and his techniques have transformed my approach to this, and many other, photographic subjects.

Then I bought The Way of the Digital Photographer. It's rare for me to buy books, because I normally do my learning from online sources. Harold's philosophy and teaching are clear and easy to follow. Even when he changes gear and becomes more technical, he explains his methods in a step by step fashion that's very successful. He's humorous too, which helps!

What I especially like is that he gives worked examples of every technique, and, like every good teacher, moves from the simple to the complex, and from the familiar to the unfamiliar, recapping at every stage. As an ex-teacher-trainer myself I'd say his writing/teaching is impressive.

Then along came Harold's Monochromatic HDR Photography. Which I bought! I thought I had already learned lots about post-processing from his previous books, but Harold takes it to a whole new level - with stunning results.

All the books are must-haves for those photographers who want to produce the very finest work that the digital negative contains.

Bravo!