on 23 September 2011
The instructions in cookery books are based on little more than "I tried this and it was nice, or that and it failed". They are imprecise, sometimes wrong, and without explanation of cause. This is different, and attempts to understand, explain and define some processes scientifically. As a non-scientist, I failed to understand parts of it, but most chapters contained a some explanations and conclusions I found very interesting and potentially useful for a cook, and could place far more confidence in them than in most other books on cooking.

If you are seeking a cook-book this is not for you. If you want to understand some of the processes involved and gain some useful tips buy it - you will learn and enjoy - but if you are not a scientist you may want to skim and read selectivly.
on 28 September 2013
Hervè This is a Great Man and I wish I could practice something on food with him even for half day...Who knows! His approach inspires people. I never would have expected a senior gastronomer like him (talking in a video) about love trasmitted through the creation of dishes: you would expect him to talk all the way scientifically. "C'est la differance!"
This book is a nice approach to him and his works. I would probably love more working with him...but only because I'm practical person.
on 24 January 2016
Nice facts for me studying for my Food Engineering degree. I actually used part of it for my presentation. If you are looking for recipes it isn't for you
on 1 February 2014
Bought this used and I am very happy with it. As a food technologist and product development specialist, I find it an enjoyable and interesting reference text and also for the odd moment of reading. A keeper.
on 25 February 2017
An informative read for sous vide users wanting to understand the technique in greater detail.
on 24 February 2015
I learnt a lot from this book it challenges you why how foods tastes different when being prepared in the kitchen
on 12 June 2014
Very complicated. Not what i was expecting . Pure science not really something you could apply in your own kitchen
on 10 March 2016
It is astonishing how what seems to be a small paperback can contain so many mind stretching subjects. I find the book outstanding.
on 13 January 2018
Fascinationg book, the history of food and eating...
on 11 March 2015
Using this for a cocktail competition, it's kot amazing for drinks but ideas for garnishes and things like that are amazing. Worth a read to any chef.