on 10 October 2005
Purchased by my mother, this is a fantastic book which my 18month old adores. The moving parts of digging a hole, planting and watering seeds and watching the flower grow, never cease to amaze him and because it is tear-resistant, it stays looking as good as new, despite being toddler mal-handled!
on 6 March 2011
My daughter is a one year old book obsessive and I bought this for her as I discovered she could say 'Mole', and wanted to give her more opportunities! Other pop-ups have enthralled her and she's as keen as any child on lifting flaps and moving parts so this looked like a good buy, but it has been a huge disappointment on every count. There is only one pop-up element - a flower at the end; there are pretty bees and butterflies sticking out, all of which came off within seconds (and we are careful); there are wheels to turn, but they are too stiff for little fingers and when I turn them for her it's frankly not worth the effort as the designs are poor and the pictures don't communicate to her. (We have other books with turning wheels which she does understand, and loves). On top of this, the pictures are ugly, the text is dull and the pages lack anything much for pointing to or discussing. We've got literally hundreds of books that we read with our daughter, from classics Moomin books to little In The Night Garden spin-offs and this is the only book that neither of us get anything out of. And it was expensive, too!
on 3 December 2006
I have bought this book for lots of 1-2 years olds and it is always met with delight by both them and their parents. It is not the most complex of story lines (Mole digs hole, plants seeds, waters them and a flower grows!), but it is brightly coloured and beautifully illustrated.

It is a great starter book for any little-one and because of the easy to turn moving parts, is good for those curious fingers. Although it claims to be tear-proof I know that at least one child has managed to rip off the ant and the butterfly, but over-all it seems to last well. Throroughly recommended, and I'm sure the others in the series are as good!