on 3 June 2017
perfect
on 22 June 2017
1st class
on 25 March 2015
I started learning how to play guitar with the DVD course by Steve Krenz "learn and master guitar": without an actual instructor who would show me where to put my fingers on the strings, and who would encourage me, I wouldn't really have started playing guitar just by looking at a book.
So, after this very good instructor (appearing to me on video) introduced me to the basics of guitar playing, when I reached lesson 9 in his course, I decided that I wanted to go deeper into the practice of playing chords, and into the learning of melodies that can be played in "first position".
After learning the basics, you can go further on your own into exploring the world of music. So when I could play well barre' chords, and after having learned the limited amount of first position songs present in the L&M Guitar manual, I was hungry for more tunes, so I decided to get the Mel Bay's series. (I also got the Barrett Tagliarino's books that will let you explore the fretboard, and the "The Chord Wheel" which has allowed me to create my own chord progressions by understanding major scales in a very friendly, fast, and useful way).
I got all 7 books by Mel Bay, and I can see now that this course will provide a more extended explanation of how to read music, filling the gaps or the things left uncovered by Steve Krenz's course (mainly how to read all music symbols, and how to understand chords represented in a vertical line of notes on the pentagram).
With this 7 books course, I hope one day I'll be able to read whatever sheet of music I will have in front of me, I will go and play the tunes I really like that for the moment are too complex for me as they are written with too many abstruse symbols, and I will get to know the fretboard better (from first to seventh positon): this is what I need before going into the studying of the pentatonic scales, and the fingerstyle guitar. I will also improve my timing.

I have to say that the ancient meldies in book one are so nice that I became addicted to them, I now pick up my guitar with pleasure, and I play them over and over so I am becoming proficient in no time.

Music is infinite, so these books are a like a journey to me, or like a good experience to undertake step by step in order to get to the place I want with music, or to reach the level of knowledge I want with my guitar playing.

All scales from all places on the fretboard, all "roads" and every approach from every book, will help you put the puzzle together, leading you to the final carousel of music.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 February 2009
See also: Modern Guitar Method Grade 1, Expanded Edition Spiral-Bound; Product Number: 93200ESET; Format: Book+CD+DVD; ISBN: 0786613696
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 February 2009
These are the classic Mel Bay series that pretty much started the Mel Bay publishing empire. First written just after the second world war, these have sold in millions. Still a good way to learn to read music on the guitar. The other two ways that mirror beginner to advanced are Mel Bay's son's books called "Mastering the Guitar" (5 book series) or the Berklee William Leavitt series.A Modern Method for Guitar: Volumes 1, 2, 3 CompleteReading Studies for Guitar (positions one through 7 and multi position studies in all keys) If you are leaning to read music you might want to go at this from a different angle and try the "Music Reading for Guitar" from MI Music Reading for Guitar: The Complete Method (Essential Concepts)
on 25 September 2013
In the mid 1990’s while I was still at my primary schools I started learning guitar and my master used the Melbay’s modern guitar method – Grade 1 to teach me guitar. It was not the expanded edition. Guitar and music was never my profession but then the unexpected event happened a couple of month’s back when few of my friends wanted to learn guitar and approached me to be their tutor. For the first few classes I taught them my own syllabus and turned out not to be fruitful enough, my lessons were either too easy or too tough.

Without a doubt I decided to purchase this book (Melbay’s Modern Guitar Method Grade 1, 2 & 3) and started their lessons again with the aid of this book and turn out to be wonderful for my students of all ages (men around the age of 35s & kids who are between 5 and 7 years old).

Everything is written in detail including how to tune the guitar, how to hold it, how to hold the pick etc.) This is a very helpful reference for any guitar beginners. Carefully arranged step by step lessons will progress the learners from guitar & strings, positions, chord theory, scales, music notation and a lot of stuffs in a neat and beautiful manner. For e.g. before you learn to play the first simplest triad chord in the guitar, you will be tempted to hold the notes in the required manner and play it if you followed all the previous lessons perfectly.

The contents turned out to be fruitful for me too. Even though now I play rock, classical guitar, Indian style music and a lot of stuff, I love to revise these books. Long back ago I learned through Melbay’s Modern Guitar method – Grade 1 & 2 and quickly went through the other grades up to 7. But now I want to thoroughly complete all the grades before I start the Carcassi’s classical guitar method which could be really tough to be followed by a classical guitar beginner. Learning all the 7 grades of Melbay’s Modern Guitar method will make anybody a good guitarist with very strong underlying theory and with very good music sheet sight ready capability.

I never used the CDs that came along with the book, but I feel that it could be helpful for beginners who want to learn guitar without the help of a tutor. If a tutor can guide the student to complete Grade 1, the student can go through the next 7 grades without any help if they are really serious about perfect guitar methods. And I should say that the expanded edition provides plenty of extra lessons that will make the progression of the learner a bit easier.
on 22 February 2010
Very good book for introducing all, children in particular but suitable for all, to the guitar, approach is good and within a couple of lessons the beginner has a definite sense of progress.
on 22 July 2011
This is bok one in the series and is structered to help the beginning guitarist to learn essential elements that lead to mastering the art of playing the guitar in a well organised manner I have used this method in my teaching for quite a number of years as it sets up a good foundation on which to develop ones playing I can highly recommend it.
on 12 July 2013
This is a fine book and guides you through the mystery of learning the guitar. If you are considering a book, buy this one first,you will not need another. It does not show tablature and this is a positive for anyone wanting to do things in a the correct manner. I was so happy this was spiral bound a must for any tutor book.
on 21 August 2014
This book is great for the fresh guitarist that wants to learn guitar properly. Not just learn bad versions of favourite songs off youtube.
You do not need a teacher for this book. It explains every basic concept that you need to go through it and all you need is discipline + metronome.