on 24 October 2008
I love this book. It's simple and easy to follow the instructions. I like the way it's set out with lots of step by step photo's.
Because she is teaching you to make your own mosaic pieces, you are unlimited by what is on offer in the shops, and can create embossed metallic looking mosaic pieces of any size and shape which really do look quite classy and beautiful when made and are very simple to do. I have been doing mosaic for years as well as other crafts, and it has opened up a whole lot of new ideas for me with it's use of beads and embellishments and other unusual mosaic pieces. I've got a lot of craft books on different subjects and this is one of my favourites.
11 Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 April 2017
I found this book to be very interesting and straight forward.. it has given me great ideas on how to produce my own tiles for mosiacs
on 4 August 2009
I bought this book after reading a review myself. I was looking for new ideas on mosaics.

At first glance, I felt it was somewhat dated , however , it does give step by step instructions on the use of polymer clay, embossing, stamping etc.
It`s full of tiny details and tips. I would say it`s very good .

It has opened up an area of mosaics I had no idea about and lead me on to ordering other books and buying materials.

I`ve just started my first projest!
on 4 June 2009
I found this book to be very interesting and straight forward.. it has given me great ideas on how to produce my own tiles for mosiac .. well worth it !!
on 3 April 2010
This book is amazing!, it has opened my mind to many more ideas using polymer clay. Best of all
the materials that are needed are quite basic and inepensive. I have just recieved this book and refuse to put it down!. Throughout the book you will pick up on small tips and ideas that you can use in your own work without copying the authors. If you love colour, teture and experimentation then you will love this book. Whats more amazing is that this book really is for all levels, all you need is a basic knowledge of polymer clay and stamping and a creative imagination that will develop once you have read this book. The only negative is that the projects towards the end are quite repetitive, but still beautiful. The book has inspired me to start a project!! Im just of to ebay to buy some more rubber stamps. Have fun creating!!!!
on 14 March 2011
Personally, I think this is a wonderful book. Lauri Mika produces artwork, jewellery and boxes using polymer clay, and they are beautiful. The techniques she uses are well explained and clearly illustrated, and it really makes you want to get up and start creating. So, why not 5 stars? That's a good question, really, because my instinctive reaction was to give this 5 stars. However, it needs to be made clear that the sort of artwork Lauri Mika creates is actually quite unusual. If you want to create mosaics using polymer clay, then this is absolutely the book for you and you will not be disappointed in any way. But it's probably not for everyone. Have a look at the work on the cover. If that really stirs you and you would love to be able to make something like that, then buy this book! There is one minor criticism. The techniques are very 'hands-on', i.e. how to produce the tiles, with examples, but not really principles, of how to put them together. The author's composition and use of colour are excellent, but she doesn't actually explain this at all. Just put together a collection of tiles you have made in any old order and the results probably won't look as good as hers! The colours she uses in a piece are of different hues and values, yet they integrate together really well. That requires an eye for such things, and the book does not explain this. But to some extent this is nit-picking. If you're prompted to buy this book, then I'm absolutely sure you'll enjoy it.
on 18 June 2010
This book is superb! A real inspiration. The instructions are so easy to follow, the examples are so beautiful, that before you know it, you yourself are creating lovely mosaics without much effort. I highly recommend this book.
on 22 March 2011
I am a recent convert to mixed media and think this is a brilliant book full of many ideas which you can both copy and adapt to your own style. The projects are easy to follow and the instructions are accompanied with clear pictures which show you what to do. The style of the book is aimed at people who want to work with polymer or other clays and embellishments. I would recommend this book to other mixed media artists.
on 4 March 2011
I misunderstood the content of this book, I didn't realise it was aimed more towards polymer clay and not so much china and tiles as I wanted. If you work with polymer clay I would think it is excellent for that purpose
on 15 February 2013
This book is a must for anyone who wants to make unique individual projects with handmade tiles that mean something different to each person. Beautiful illustrations that really make you want to make your own.