Customer reviews

I really enjoyed this novel. I was drawn into it by the many hooks. Antonia's plot development was very good. Planning to visit the area in the near future, I enjoyed my introduction to the locality. Whilst containing many sexual encounters I was impressed by the fact that the author depended upon a good plot, rather than explicit descriptions to maintain reader interest.
on 22 July 2014
From start to finish I couldn't put the book down! Very easy to read and relate to the characters and places in Oxfordshire. I found myself caught up in Susie's ever increasing mess that she kept getting herself into. Can't wait for the next one in the series as I want to know what happens! Well worth a read if you want something light hearted.
on 26 May 2015
Novel writing experts often say your protagonist in a story should be a likeable character. However most of the way through this entertaining book I wanted to grab the beguiling young Susie Rowlands right out from the page and slap her for being such a spoilt, featherbrained little bitch.

She is the classic Trust Fund babe who messes up in almost everything she does, but because she is pretty, appealing and knows how to flutter her eyelashes, gets away with quite a lot … until she pushes her indulgent parents one step too far. Then she gets the lessons she needs to learn, none of which she bargained for.

And ironically it’s through that frazzling experience that she resolves many of her difficulties and reaches the happy ending with not the slightest trace of egg on her face.

I enjoyed this upper-middle class romp thoroughly and living quite near Oxfordshire, I recognized many of the towns and villages described in the story. Although we have one brief diversion to Monaco, the vast majority of the time the action takes place in amongst the soft brown Cotswold stone buildings and rolling green countryside with the narrow little lanes I love to drive down when I have North American relatives staying with me … scares the pants off them.

This novel isn’t just about the frivolous young Susie, either – it’s the first in a family saga destined to go on into a series of three, so we’re told. Certainly Susie’s parents and brother are interesting characters and all have their share of small-but-perfectly-formed skeletons in the closet, as do some of the secondary characters who emerge later in the story which helps us look forward to book number two.

Add to this some delightful foraging in antique shops – a personal hobby of the author’s, I believe … some lunches and dinners in bijou Oxfordshire pubs and restaurants, described in loving detail that makes you drool … plus enough champagne to float the Ark Royal, the book gives you a very rounded experience of this extravagant family, their friends and their lifestyle.

All in all, a bit of a rom-com – with more than the usual amount of grit and substance. A feel-good read.

This review first appeared on the multi-genre writing resource, HowToWriteBetter.net
on 25 August 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book, I got totally sucked in to the tangle that is Susie's life and felt myself wanting to go and help her!
It was great to be able to recognise some places in the story too, it was so easy to place the characters in the various places.
The book is full of interesting twists and turns and it really is one of those books where the pages turn so quickly because I wanted to know what happened next!!
The only negative about this book is that I now have to wait until next year for the next instalment!!
on 25 August 2014
I enjoyed this a lot. It's fast moving and I am eagerly awaiting the next book. Only criticism is that it is too short and I finished it too quickly!
on 19 September 2014
Absolutely loved the first book in the Emotions Trilogy! I took it with me as my holiday read and couldn't put it down! I was laughing out loud and gasping so much throughout the story that I ended up re-telling the whole story to my boyfriend who was wondering what was going on!! I am eagerly awaiting the next book in the Emotions trilogy! Highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a good read!!
on 8 October 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book from start to finish and was sorry when I had finished it! I loved getting to know the Rowlands family - especially Susie who is quite a character but totally lovable! It is very current and there are lots of things and places in the book that you can relate to. Can't wait for the next 2 books and I highly recommend to my friends and family. (says Nikki)
on 14 July 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Antonia's first novel. I love reading, but never have the time. However from the moment I picked up Mixed Emotions, I made the time because I couldn't put it down! It was such a great read and I loved the fact that you could relate to the characters so well. The story line was gripping and I can't wait for the other 2 books!
on 9 October 2014
A page turner right from the beginning and you form a real connection to the characters from the out start. make sure you start it when you have lots of time because you won't want to put it down! Was an excellent holiday read for me and can't wait for the second part of the trilogy now!
on 2 July 2014
Whether for plane, beach or bedside table, this is the perfect book for a summer holiday read. The plot is full of surprises, with delightful characters I'm very much looking forward to meeting again in the next episode of this far from everyday story of Oxfordshire folk.