- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
The Missing of the Somme Paperback – 8 Nov 2012
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
"Articulates a response to the Great War which many feel, but no one has analysed so scrupulously" (Spectator)
"A gentle, patient, loving book. It is about mourning and memory, about how the Great War has been represented - and our sense of it shaped and defined - by different artistic media . . . its textures are the very rhythms of memory and consciousness" (Guardian)
"A penetrating meditation upon war and remembrance" (Daily Telegraph)
'The great Great War book of our time.' ObserverSee all Product description
Top Customer Reviews
Beautifully written, this is a book about war and memory and how we remember; or perhaps it would be more appropriate to write, how we approach Remembrance with the intention of remembering. It meanders from Armistice Day and the Cenotaph to the Great War cemeteries, winding all along the old line of the Western Front, Thiepval and Vimy Ridge and Tyne Cot. Drawing on Sassoon, Owen and Remarque along the way, Dyer dwells on how we can adequately remember something that cannot be explained or expressed, how anyone can remember something that only the dead experienced - the true silence at the heart of Remembrance.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > France
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War I
- Books > History > Europe > France
- Books > History > Historical Study & Educational Resources > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts
- Books > History > Military History > World War I