on 2 June 1998
After reading what I can only describe as the best golf fiction ever, I bought copies for friends. Then my husband & I along with another couple went to play golf in AZ. During the long drives to golf courses, we took turns reading MISSING LINKS out loud. Probably, because know people like the chops we laughed until we cried at the antics of Two Down, Thud the almost human, Cementhead and Hoover with all of his golf gadgets and ideas. We even have a "Stone Concorde" at our club--ALWAYS manages to find his ball and we believe he has a magnetic ball marker on his putter. If he ever reads this book, I am sure he will start watering the putting surfaces at night. We were so involved with the book that we would drive slowly so we could continue reading. My friend's husband is not much of a bookworm but he would complain the loudest when it was time to stop reading. MISSING LINKS--8 thumbs up! Thanks Rick Reilly! We look forward to your next novel. Lookout for your shadow!
on 6 March 1999
This book, as Costas reviewed, was one of the rare gems I could not put down. Exceptionally funny and believe it or not I learned to play golf on many courses not unlike Ponc. It made me miss my old "Chop" buddies from New Mexico and Denver. We actuall played a course that had drained water hazards with nuclear hazard signs warning the golfer not to retrieve their ball due to possible radio-active contamination. Of course we weren't about to let a little glow in the dark action keep us from our $3.00 Belata's! I could definitely relate to this book! I am purchasing several copies to send out west as a way to get back in touch with these old golf partners of mine.
on 20 July 1999
I was on vacation in Sun VAlley and bought several books and hated them until I found Missing Links. I counldn't put it down because of the humor. The characters were very funny as well as the situations they found themselves in. I read it everywhere I went for about 48 hours and my family wasn't mad because I had them laughing with me as I described it to them. I won't forget that vacation cause of the great book I found. Not many people can write funny books but Rick Reilly has a great talent. I can't wait for his new book to come out. I have never sought out an authors web site before but I wanted to let him know how much I loved his book.
on 20 July 1999
on 3 March 1998
It's about time someone wrote a book as funny as Caddyshack! That comparison is most obvious after one reads the jacket of Rick Reilly's hilarious look at municipal golf, class envy, and the ecstasy known only to golfers as a good, long, hard driver. Non-golfers can pass on this book. Golfers won't be able to put it down. Witty, sharp, and full of new golf expressions (as if the game needed any more!), this book should not be passed up by any golfer who can at least read on a TV Guide level. Rick, we're anxiously awaiting your sequel!
on 27 March 1998
If you love golf and you want a great laugh, be sure to read this book. I know that you will find it more enjoyable than any instructional book on golf. A tale of friends whose home course is the worst muni course in the states and an ensuing bet they make to see who is the first to play an exclusive private club. If you play golf with a group of friends you will surely find one or more of them depicted in Reilly's characters. Found it much more interesting than "Fast Greens".
on 1 March 1999
Rick Reilly juggles absurdity and every day realities into a book that you'll never forget whether you're a one handicapper or a muni course hack. Reilly knows he's funny and shows it , but the sentimental parts of the book hit the bottom of the cup as well.If you don't laugh you probably flat-lined weeks ago.There's a good chance you'll cry as well , but laugh and cry is a cliche , and Missing Links doesn't fall victim to the cliche (sand) trap. Highly , highly recommended.
on 13 January 1998
No doubt legions of readers will make a pilgrimage to the Ponky (if there really is one) much like baseball fans to the "Field of Dreams" in Iowa. Every chop in America can relate to the characters in Missing Links. The only difference is that the ones in my regular game don't have the integrity of those in the book. Highly recommend this book to all golfers with a sense of humor (or perhaps more importantly, to those who need one)!
on 4 August 1997
This book, dealing with a group of addled golfers and a hideous municipal course and their attempt to play the country club next door, should be on everyones reading list.

Reilly's incredibly varied, vivid cast of characters bring to life this hilarious tale of class envy and the American Dream.

You don't need to be a golf fan or even play the game to completely enjoy this book!
on 28 January 1999
Occasionally Rick Reilly deigns to actually "write" for Sports Illustrated, though usually he seems to toss off the first thing that comes out of his head. Which makes for some pretty uninspired prose. Which is what he seems to have done in this rather flaccid, predictable book. Alas, strings of assembly line one-liners do not make a good read.