- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
Missing Believed Killed Hardcover – 25 May 2010
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
...this story of Corporal John Baxter's experiences is outstanding... --The Times Literary Supplement, October 2010
About the Author
John Baxter was a Corporal in the Royal Engineers during the Second World War. In 1942 he was captured by the Japanese in Indonesia, and held as a prisoner of war under brutal conditions for the next three years. After his release, John Baxter spent several years recuperating and receiving treatment at Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire, where in 1948 he met and married his wife, Lilian. He later resumed his pre-war career as a plumbing and heating engineer, becoming a manager of a heating company in Trowbridge in Wiltshire, and retiring in 1974. John, who still lives in Trowbridge, has two sons and a daughter and two granddaughters. He continues to be actively involved in organisations such as FEPOW (Far East Prisoners of War), COFEPOW (Children and Families of Far East Prisoners of War), and the Java 42 Club. He has taken part in a number of VJ Day anniversary events and stays in contact with his old prison guard, Hirano, who in 2009 sent John a 90th birthday card.
Top customer reviews
I didn't know much about the campaign in Japan but while learning an awful lot about the situation our guys endured John has also put it into a wider context. For instance the sabotage of vehicles preventing their use in the ongoing conflict.
John actually eventually became friends with one of his captors. It is a testament to his spirit that he was able to do so. If I had been treated like that I would have found it extremely difficult - but then I couldn't have written this book and made it so enjoyable.
I highly recommend.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Japan
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Cultural History
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > History > Asia > Japan
- Books > History > Europe
- Books > History > Military History > Prisoners of War
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Prisoners of War