Customer reviews

on 7 September 2014
My kind of speculative fiction -- Great story, action, romance, thrills. I enjoyed this wild ride through an exotic steampunk-ish Vienna. The story keeps you guessing and the characters keep you caring. Looking forward to book 2 in the series.
on 20 April 2014
I received this novel as a review copy in exchange for an honest review. On the surface, the author delivers a story that would seemingly be labelled chick-lit or historical romance of the Boons & Mill variety. However, within these pages you will be as surprised as I was to find hidden depths of murder, mayhem, secrecy, an assassination plot and a world to save. This is Miss Hyde, an imaginative sequel to Robert Louis Stevenson’s Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, but to dismiss this roller coaster ride as a mere chick-lit sequel is to do great injustice to it, and it isn’t just for women.
It all begins in 19th century Vienna at the World’s Fair and a case of mistaken identity by a tall, dark and handsome young man by the name of Andor who has come to meet his lady love, Irina. However, it is not his lady love at all but the adopted daughter of Dr Jekyll, Marion Jekyll. She is a bookworm who suffers a nervous disorder that may be epilepsy, forced to follow her guardian, Mr Utterson and her nanny-cum-teacher, Miss Krummacker, throughout Europe to be educated as any fine lady of the era should. Learning languages, history and all else to be the fine upstanding lady that her adopted father wished.

In Vienna, the troubled Marion begins a journey of discover into the truth that her guardians had kept hidden from her. The truth about herself, her true nature, and her real father and her late mother, and indeed how Dr Jekyll came to adopt her. As she uncovers clue after clue and falls more deeply in love with the mysterious Andor, the danger she’s in deepens, coming to a head in a surprising and action-filled finale.

For Ms Bold, who has previously written on comedic topics under the pen name Gwen Ellery, this novel is a great jump in writing. Encapsulating, mystery, horror, detective and romantic themes in one swashbuckling, roller coaster of a novel that any book lover will enjoy.
on 11 January 2014
Miss Hyde is a great combination of thriller and romance. Even though it's based on a well-known story, there's enough originality to set it apart from Stevenson's tale. Marion, the central character, is likeable - being both naive and gutsy. If you enjoy historical or steampunk novels with a little bit of fantasy and passion, then you'll like this too.
on 5 July 2014
An inspired idea to base a plot on a classic. The characters are interesting and conspiracy theories are engrossing. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and am awaiting the next book with anticipation.
on 18 January 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book, so much, in fact, that I finished it in one sitting. The writing style kept my attention throughout and while it's not usually the kind of book I'd go for- I'm glad I did!

You have here a blend of romance and anticipation, a `modern' twist to the classic tale, which is just fantastic. I was very impressed by the scene settings and descriptions (really painted a picture of the story line!) and the interactions between characters are great throughout the book. You can't help but love the characters, Bold has done a brilliant job.

This is well worth a read! :)
on 11 November 2014
The story is an imaginative sequel to "Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde." It could leave you reflecting on human nature and wondering to what extent we all have a dark side. Or you could just enjoy a great read. I was hooked right from the start and read quickly to the end as I wanted to find out what would happen in this combination of romance, mystery and thriller.
on 1 February 2014
This book was a little darker than my usual reads, but I found myself quickly lost in the story. Loved the twists and turns. I never saw most of them coming, which only made the story that much better. I really enjoyed this book. Could not put it down.
on 1 January 2015